Squirrel Warning

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Squirrel Warning

Post by garbsmj »

Yes, if you're a squirrel (or any other life form that likes to dart out onto the road) and live out here by the lakes, be advised that Garbette now has her driver's license. :flee:

On a lighter note, now that mom can't use the family car, frogs can breathe a sigh of relief.
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Squirrel Warning

Post by Bigaldoc »

I guess you don't need one of these for EITHER squirrels OR frogs:
2010-06-22_091453.jpg
:flee: :innocent:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

garbsmj wrote:Yes, if you're a squirrel (or any other life form that likes to dart out onto the road) and live out here by the lakes, be advised that Garbette now has her driver's license. :flee:

On a lighter note, now that mom can't use the family car, frogs can breathe a sigh of relief.
It is a bit unnerving for teens to begin driving. This is one area that seem to be very different now than it used to be for getting ready to drive. Kids started on trikes, went to bikes, learned to drive tractor, lawn mower, dirt bikes and go karts. They also drove the old stick shift grain truck to the field and back as well as the pick up truck to bring the lunch that mom prepared for Dad who was working in his crops. Finally, when they reached driving age, they could take their test and pass with flying colors. I imagine there is still some of this going on now but not nearly as much as it used to be......:smile:
Sorry abut my reminiscing, but your post took me back to the good old days of my life.....:grin:
BTW, I wiped out the life of two squirrels early in my driving career. They were hiding on the side of the road and decided to make a mad dash to the other side just as I reached their location. I don't know what possessed them but they sure turned my tummy in an instant. :sick:
Thanks for the post and congratulations to Garbette!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Skitterbug wrote:... They also drove the old stick shift grain truck ...
That does bring back memories of the late 40s for me. I started my learning by sitting in the front seat while mom and sister sat in back. The old Chevy had the stick on the floor and my father first started letting me shift gears on his command. Then I progressed to backing the car out of the driveway. (We lived on a small back road with NO traffic.) By the time I turned 16 I passed my road test without a hitch and that was in NY where the troopers were pretty strict. Thanks for the memories...

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:
Skitterbug wrote:... They also drove the old stick shift grain truck ...
That does bring back memories of the late 40s for me. I started my learning by sitting in the front seat while mom and sister sat in back. The old Chevy had the stick on the floor and my father first started letting me shift gears on his command. Then I progressed to backing the car out of the driveway. (We lived on a small back road with NO traffic.) By the time I turned 16 I passed my road test without a hitch and that was in NY where the troopers were pretty strict. Thanks for the memories...
My Father took me out in the family sedan on our first driving expedition. We went to a rather unpopulated area and he turned over the wheel to me. I proceeded to round a corner, drove up on some one's lawn, ran over and broke a potted plant and put some obvious ruts in the grass going back to the street.
My Dad decided that I should go to a driving school where the cars had dual controls. After that, all went well, got my license and Dad had a lot more peace of mind, particularly when I bought my own vehicle shortly afterwards.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

One of my older brothers (I'm the youngest with 5 older brothers and 3 older sisters) bought a '31 Ford Model A coupe project car back in the mid '50s. He had it towed in but could never get it started. I watched him and my BIL fooling with it. One day when they weren't there to catch me, I got it started. I was about 12 or 13 then. It wasn't long before I had it tooling around the yard. Picture a standard 50' wide standard city lot with more house than yard and 3 pecan trees in the back yard that towered over the 2-story house. I learned to drive on that old Model A going around and between those trees and up and down the driveway (which had 500-1000 pound granite stones holding a terrace on one side).

I never did tell them how I got it started but they saw the tracks and knew I'd been driving it. I was promised an early death if 1) I put so much a tiny little dent in the car; 2) I drove it on the street); 3) I did anything to make Mama worry.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

garbsmj wrote:be advised that Garbette now has her driver's license. :flee:
Those of you this side of the pond might wish to know that stuckling1 takes his driving test very soon, next Monday I think. If he passes I'll post a full health warning.

Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

stuck wrote:Those of you this side of the pond might wish to know that stuckling1 takes his driving test very soon, next Monday I think. If he passes I'll post a full health warning.
And a list of all the postcodes (first half) he is likely to be visiting! :flee:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I think you are far enough away from us... for now anyway. He's considering a university a bit further SW of you. Not that he will be able to afford a car at uni.

:hmmn: 'afford' and 'university' in the same sentence, mega :money:, I feel faint :barf: :woops:

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

stuck wrote:
:hmmn: 'afford' and 'university' in the same sentence, mega :money:, I feel faint :barf: :woops:
Ken I feel your pain
I have my daughter, son and wife all in college, it seems that I'm working 24-7 to keep up, but you know it's all worth it, I know I don't fully see it at the present moment, or when the tuition is due and book are needed. But at the end of the day it's all good.