New tactic

Claude
cheese lizard

New tactic

Post by Claude »

Got this email overnight:
Subject: Spam: job offer
We need agents in Australia to process clients payments, up to $800.00 (EIGHT HUNDRED) per hour, contact someone@somewhere.com
At least they admit it's spam and point it out in the subject line. :laugh: (I didn't copy the actual email address)
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Re: New tactic

Post by HansV »

They probably reckon that whatever they do, there will always be someone stupid enough to fall for it (and I fear they're right...)
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Claude wrote:Got this email overnight:
Subject: Spam: job offer
We need agents in Australia to process clients payments, up to $800.00 (EIGHT HUNDRED) per hour, contact someone@somewhere.com
$800.00 per hour....whats the email address? :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Just PM me your bank account details, PIN code etc., and I'll send you the e-mail address. :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

This probably originated in Nigeria where so many of the phony offers for quick money seem to come from. I got another one just two days ago. Someone wants a contact to transfer money and if you agree you'll get a high percentage of some millions of dollars. I often wondered just who would bite on something that blatent.
Slim

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Greed is a very strong force, and it blinds (some) people to the obvious. Sending out millions of such e-mails is free, and if only one or two recipients fall for it, the spammer makes a profit...
Best wishes,
Hans

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Brilliant :grin:

I am at the tail end of a big project where I am integrating a DB system to my toy and one of the items that was flagged in the UAT was:

"System A is placing an email address someone@somewhere.com into System B" Ihad to attach service requests to a default property an one of the required fields was an email address, I just added someone@somewhere.com in case it wasn't nullable. For some reason the Project Manager thought the system had been hacked!

He finally understood when I changed the value to TheProjectManagerIsConfused@Work.com :bubbles:
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Slim wrote:I often wondered just who would bite on something that blatent.
from what I've read the majority of their "clients" are lawyers and bankers.
Cheers, Claude.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

It's not only email- it's also in the snail mail in a big way.

My elderly father has fallen for it. He is sending money out every day, convinced he will be able to buy a new car very soon with his winnings. Nothing we can say makes a difference.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

GeoffW wrote:It's not only email- it's also in the snail mail in a big way.

My elderly father has fallen for it. He is sending money out every day, convinced he will be able to buy a new car very soon with his winnings. Nothing we can say makes a difference.
My Mom was the same way. In fact when she was hospitalized, I took the bold step to cancel one of her solicitors who sent mail which said that if you buy this and that, you'll be entered to win blah blah blah. Wouldn't you know, as soon as she was back holding the reins, the deliveries started arriving again. She was convinced she would win BIG someday. It never happened........:sad: but no surprise.
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Skitterbug wrote:... My Mom was the same way...
Yeah, I have a friend my age at the nursing home who's in the same boat. I keep telling him it's garbage but he's convinced otherwise. Sad thing is that it isn't much money but think of all the "suckers" who bite...

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

GeoffW wrote:My Mom was the same way.
My father, on the other hand, got bilked because he thought that he had to pay anything that looked like a bill and that if you received something in the mail, you owed the sender, even if you didn't order it and didn't want it. He wasn't greedy, he was trying to be honest.

In his case, the FBI got involved because it was interstate commerce and they recovered most of his money. I took his checkbook away after that.
Charlotte