RIP BigAlDoc

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Re: RIP BigAlDoc

Post by Bowlie »

Sigh. Fare thee well, Big Al, with your new challenges.

pstackhouse
NewLounger

Post by pstackhouse »

I have known Al (in-person) for nearly 30 years and he was a great friend. We first met in the mid-80's when he was an instructor at Lexington Microschools, where I was employed as a programmer and part-time instructor. Later, after his retirement from IBM, he worked for me part-time at Kentucky Educational Television for several years. More than once he confided in me: Paul, I'd work here even if they didn't pay me. After some time it became clear that Billie needed him at home more than we needed him at KET. Soon thereafter, as expected, he became a valuable volunteer at the Thompson-Hood Veterans Center, an extended care center for veterans ten miles south of his home in Lexington. What started out as friendly advice from "Billie's Husband" became expert opinion from a trusted and reliable volunteer.

To the many of you who knew Al only vicariously through Woody's and Eileen's Lounges, know that he valued your friendship to his more "physical" friends; regularly passing on wisdom and stories from you all to us here in Lexington. The pain of his passing is no less real to you than to us who lived nearby. He was a great guy and will be sorely missed.

-paul

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge, Paul, even though it's on a sad occasion. It's good to hear from a personal friend of Al. Coping with his loss will be hard, but I'm sure you'll have many good memories of him.
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

A weekend away just got back feeling good and now this news. I'm really upset and share all the other loungers' sentiments.
Jeff

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

BigAl, may you be with your beloved wife forever. RIP!
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

diegol
StarLounger

Post by diegol »

It's hard to believe more than 10 years have passed from the day I joined Woody's Lounge and started reading Big Al's posts.

With time I became a non-frequent poster and reader, but still this news got me shocked. Like many of you (and many of those who did not move to Eileen's), Al had become someone familiar to me. Every time I think of this I get a bit sad.

My condolences to his family.

:argentina: Diegol

Rus
StarLounger

Post by Rus »

Prayers go out for his family. He was one of the "Good Ones" no doubt.

Rest in Peace BigAl.

For you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz8z2AGw

Hope to see you soon.

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

Having heard Taps played over both my mother and father's graves, this is incredibly moving. And I know Al and Billie would appreciate it, too. Thanks to all who served and who still serve our country. And I miss talking with Al.
Anne

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Bowlie wrote:...Fare thee well, Big Al, with your new challenges.
I mean no offence and I am sure that Al would appreciate the joke when I suggest that his next challenge is likely to be at the Pearly Gates, helping St Peter with his 'friends' list :grin:

Ken

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

stuck wrote:
I mean no offence and I am sure that Al would appreciate the joke when I suggest that his next challenge is likely to be at the Pearly Gates, helping St Peter with his 'friends' list :grin:

Ken
Hi Ken

knowing Al as we all did I bet he is :rofl: right now reading your post.
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Al Hoffman- BigAlDoc has passed away.
Geoff, thanks for your diligence and persistence.
Please pass on yet-another-stranger's condolences to Al's family.
Al was my best sparring partner on both Lounges, in part because we jousted in private, it was between us, but mainly because he was always the first to make peace.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

stuck wrote:

Ken
Al will be there helping as many people as he can. Just like in the Lounge.

It's a great part of the spirit of the Lounge that we have so many people with knowledge who like to share their knowledge for free. Al really embodied that spirit.

rettingr
StarLounger

Post by rettingr »

Fond farewell to the best of friends, however sad it may be! He was a true inspiration to many - myself included as he set the bar high in how to be a true friend to any and all each and every day. His passing is only on to the better place next to his beloved and will be missed greatly by the many here in the world below you Al.
Take care and know that you were truly cared for.
Randy

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

I'm truly saddened to hear of Big Al's passing. We shared ex-IBM stories when I first joined a few years ago, and I'm glad I came to know Al through the lounge.

I enjoyed the posts from Al, the honesty, humor and overall thoughtfulness. He was willing to step out there and try new things - didn't he advocate for the "Social Networking" forum? - and share freely wherever he could.

Goodbye Al. We'll miss you.
-----------------------------
PJ

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Just a note for all his friends here, my father's service will be on Friday, June 14th @ 2:30 pm at Camp Nelson National Cemetery in Nicholasville, KY where his & my mother's ashes will be interred in a military ceremony. Thanks to all here for their thoughts, prayers, support & caring for my Dad over the last number of years. Albert T. Hoffman

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I met up with Leif and Hans in a London pub tonight and we raised a glass or two in memory of Big Al.
StuartR

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

I know he'd appreciate that, StuartR, Leif and Hans. Thanks for doing that! Wish I could have joined you. I'll do it virtually. :cheers:
Anne

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

It's very sad to read the news of Big Al's passing. We shared many a conversation over the last few years both on the board(s) and in private. A true gentleman, may he rest in peace.
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

I just found this thread while scanning the forums... very sad news. Al has helped me on several occasions in the past, both on Woody's and here. I always valued and appreciated his suggestions and ideas. I'll miss him.

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

I think Al must be sitting in heaven, really enjoying all the comments from everyone. He was a super guy and I miss him, but I know he and Billie are together, again.
Anne