The Galactic Wanderer

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

The Galactic Wanderer

Post by Graeme »

Hello All

March has been rubbish for astrophotography and I've only managed this one image so far.

Here's Caldwell 25, the Intergalactic Wanderer. It's a Globular Cluster in the constellation Lynx. It was discovered by William Herschel in 1788. It is at a distance of about 300,000 light years from the Solar System and at the same distance from the Galactic Centre. Intrinsically it is one of the brightest and most massive globular clusters of our galaxy.

Well the full Moon bleached everything out as you would expect, (and any chance of recent CME SE England aurora too!) But when the night sky is clear you got to do what you got to do! I was tricked by the low humidity and forgot to turn up the percent aggression on the dew controllers for a close to zenith target so copped some condensation. But I didn't want to over process it and loose the detail of the glob. So here's a suboptimal Caldwell 25, the Intergalactic Wanderer. I was going to rotate the camera to get a nice horizontal conga line of stars but I had already calibrated the guiding and didn't want to move it!

C25_LRGB.jpg

Graeme
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

HansV
Administrator

Re: The Galactic Wanderer

Post by HansV »

Still a lovely photo!
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, lovely indeed.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Graeme wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 09:37
...March has been rubbish...
That was all you needed to say really :laugh:

Up here, it feels like it has rained every night for, well, forever so you must have faired better in the sunny south to get this impressive shot.

Ken

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

stuck wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 18:45
Graeme wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 09:37
...March has been rubbish...
Up here, it feels like it has rained every night for, well, forever so you must have faired better in the sunny south to get this impressive shot.

There was a 3 hour window!

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/