Ink levels not visible.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Ink levels not visible.

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi again. When printing just now the printer [SX215} stopped printing half way down the picture. As I had had no warning of ink levels being low I decided to check and discovered - as the screen shot shows - that no levels are shown. Is there some adjustment that needs to be made to some setting to rectify this please. :scratch: Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Ink levels not visible.

Post by stuck »

You said
Dave Davison wrote:When printing just now the printer [SX215} stopped printing half way down the picture
so is it not to be expected that the ink levels would all show empty?

Replace your ink cartridges and then check the levels again. If your Epson behaves like my HP then the software should detect the new (full) inks and update the display accordingly. If however they are still showing empty, search your Epson documentation for clues as to how to reset the ink counter. Hint, try clicking on the 'Technical Support' button I can see in your screen capture.

If you can't find any documentation on your PC then search the Epson website for your particular printer model.

If all else fails, try here:
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/

Ken

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

The low ink message may have pop up several days ago and someone else clicked the OK.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I don't know about Epson but with HP printers, if you use a NON HP cartridge, there sometimes is a lack of communication to the print program and it will show either no ink or very low ink supply.
It does not usually affect the ability to print and would not stop in the middle of a page while printing. My HP 6000 will show low ink alarm lamps when using a non HP cartridge. I put apiece of black tape over the stupid lamps and continue printing, while ignoring the flashing lights.

Even with legitimate low ink conditions, you should be able to actually SEE the difference in print quality before refusal to print anything.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

viking33 wrote:if you use a NON HP cartridge, there sometimes is a lack of communication to the print program
Ah yes, forgot to mention that....

My personal opinion is that although branded cartridges may be much more expensive than 'compatible' at least they work, first time, every time. The only times I've used non-branded inks or toner they have been nothing but trouble.

There will be loads of people out there that will disagree with my opinion, which is fine because I'm not claiming it is a fact.

Ken

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Just on this topic :cheers: my Canon printer has been warning me of low ink for ages.
I've got a new cartridge primed but it still continues to print fine with the old cartridge, despite the warning and a graphic showing an empty cartridge.

Very naughty these printer companies :groan:

BTW I was considering replacing my (working perfectly..) inkjet with a mono-laser printer at £40. I was excited by this price, but thought I would check the cartridge price - £60+ :laugh:. The moral is: always check the printer and the cartridge price - and the cartridge capacity/output - to obtain a true comparison.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

agibsonsw wrote:...... The moral is: always check the printer and the cartridge price - and the cartridge capacity/output - to obtain a true comparison.
Agreed! I used to have a Lexmark which was really cheap, but the cartridges were an extortionate price!
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Just on this topic :cheers: my Canon printer has been warning me of low ink for ages.
I've got a new cartridge primed but it still continues to print fine with the old cartridge, despite the warning and a graphic showing an empty cartridge.

Very naughty these printer companies :groan:

------------------------------------------
That's why I use the tape over the warning LEDs and wait until I SEE a deterioration in the print quality. Then I change the cartridge.
BOB

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

WELL; various comments here I see, first let me say that after the printing stopped abruptly half way down the page, I tried another one which -unbelievably- printed just fine & I have continued to print without any bother. Based on the screenshot -which showed all cartridges as empty - I should not be able to print anything but the truth is I am -BUT have no idea how - as every cartridge still show empty. I have just performed a sample colour print check and it is normal [see attachment] so I am baffled. Incidentally, on the subject of compatible cartridges, I have used nothing else for years without incident. The current price I pay for 12 cartridges of any colour is just £16. I half suspect that it is against the rules of the lounge to divulge suppliers names so if anyone in the UK would like to know the details simply send me a PM & I will point you to their web site. I guess -as Bob suggests- I must keep an eye on the quality of printing to discern when a colour runs out. Thanks again Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Sometimes when a print job has the acction, there is a memory issue and the spooling is still loading for the next batch of data.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

agibsonsw wrote:Just on this topic :cheers: my Canon printer has been warning me of low ink for ages.
Same applies to my HP printer. It says the inks are low but for the print quality I require (most of the time) you wouldn't know it. I dismiss the warning and carry on printing until the print disappears because there really isn't any ink left :grin:

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for the replies; the supplier recommends I remove the cartridges- switch the printer off- then on again and re-install them. Not the sort of advice I thought would be offered fearing that they would leak if removed before becoming empty, any thoughts on this last point please. Regards Dave.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:Thanks for the replies; the supplier recommends I remove the cartridges- switch the printer off- then on again and re-install them. Not the sort of advice I thought would be offered fearing that they would leak if removed before becoming empty, any thoughts on this last point please. Regards Dave.
Well, it's worth a shot,Dave.
They shouldn't leak but if you have a damp lint-less cloth, you could try gently wiping the contacts off while they are out of the holders, then reinsert after powering up the printer again. :crossfingers:
BOB

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:fearing that they would leak if removed before becoming empty
They should be no more at risk of leaking in the short time it will take you to re-install than in they are in the short time there was between you taking them out of their box when they werre brand new (i.e. full of ink), peeling off the protective cover that would have been across the print head and then inserting them into the printer.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

THENK GENTS I WILL HAVE AGO AND LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS REGARDS. DAVE