New laptop essentials

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: New laptop essentials

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello all, and thanks again.

I did run pcdecrapifier, recommended to me in a previous thread, but I think it was just a coincidence that none of the listed software was on my laptop. Still, it does no harm and only runs once.

Interesting idea about creating a partition. But I don't have that many documents, so consider this unnecessary for me.

I'm a fan of VLC and am pleased to note that we now have the option to disable Windows Media Player and Centre, and Internet Explorer :clapping:. This is not the same as removal but at least it's a step in the right direction. I'll leave them running for a while though but I definitely will replace IE with FireFox; don't like IE9 and think it's slow.

My next challenge is to network with my Vista computer so that I can copy/mirror My Documents. (I can't use a USB pen on my Vista computer :groan: ) I've got a crossover cable but the steps look a bit intricate. But if I bite the bullet and do this once, then it should prove easy to keep them in sync in the future. This looks like the best way to achieve this, better than trying to store files/folders on the internet.

Regards, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you sync is what you want check out Windows Live Mesh. From the website:

"Access the stuff on your computers from almost anywhere
With Windows Live Mesh and the Devices website, you can finally stop emailing files to yourself, carrying them around on a USB drive, or worrying whether the version you have with you is the latest.

Keep up-to-date copies of documents, photos, and other files on all of your computers, whether PC or Mac. Even if your computer is offline, you can still view and work on the files you need."

Joe
Joe

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks Joe.

I've investigated similar options, including using Google Docs to store (and download to my other computer) large files and folders. I'm not so keen and I currently only have one dongle so wouldn't have both computers online at the same time: so I couldn't do a (semi)-direct transfer.

When my dongle credit runs out I might invest in one of those MiFi dongles. It would be useful to have this, although I'm suspicious that speed would be less than with a (plugged in) dongle.

Networking the computers seems a bit fiddly, but once I've struggled through the steps I'll be "good to go". Besides, I don't need to precisely mirror 'My Documents', so this networking option should suffice.

So far I've assigned my computers to the same workgroup :smile: but there are a number of steps to go! Regards, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hey, this sharing of computers is a breeze :clapping:

I gave my computers the same workgroup name, plugged the Ethernet cable in. After a short delay I could see both computers. The additional step that the page I found didn't mention is that I also have to share specific folders Doh! (A previous site I found indicated that I would have to muck about with IP addresses.)

I notice that it would also be possible to share an internet connection, but I don't need this option now anyway :smile:.

Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Just to continue this interesting :grin: discussion..

I also installed, and consider essential, Table2Clipboard and Adblock Plus add-ons for Firefox. Adblock Plus requires a filter subscription, which it didn't before, but I suppose that's fair enough?

I installed SQL Server 2008 Express and intend to install the Server Management Studio for it. MS offers x86 and x64 versions of this; how can I tell which one I need? (I suspect this question is going to recur many times now that I have x64 Windows 7.)

I also switched to the Windows 7 Basic theme - get rid of those annoying fading thumbs - and use small icons in the Taskbar; and disabled 'Peek at Desktop' ugh!

Previously - in Vista - I disabled Hibernation and did something to delete the hibernation file. Is this feature improved in Windows 7?

Regards, Andy.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I think that hibernation works fairly well on laptops, but is a complete waste of time on a desktop.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

agibsonsw wrote:MS offers x86 and x64 versions of this; how can I tell which one I need?
The installation procedure will probably select the appropriate option for your laptop automatically.

The 64-bit version can handle more memory than the 32-bit version.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks both.

I think I'll tweak my power settings rather than disabling hibernation completely/deleting its file. I'm not concerned about the size of the file it creates, just if it would impact performance.

I suppose if I'm not sure if I need a 64 bit version of something then I could always try and download it and let it beep at me. Actually, I'll generally try and check first; because I've got W7 64 bit, it might download but then not work, which I wouldn't like.

Cheers, Andy.

BTW I'm not really concerned (or convinced) about this 64-bit thing. But I suppose if there is a 64-bit version available then I might as well make use of it, as long as no one has reported issues with it - or there are features missing :smile:

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If you have a 64 bit operating system then you can use all your memory by sharing it among 32 bit applications, but each application will be limited to about 3GB of memory.

I avoid the 64 bit versions of applications, unless I know that the particular application will be able to make good use of many Gigabytes of memory. The 32 bit versions are generally more mature and have more functionality.
StuartR

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

StuartR wrote:If you have a 64 bit operating system then you can use all your memory by sharing it among 32 bit applications, but each application will be limited to about 3GB of memory.
Thank you. Does this sharing happen automatically? I assume it does..

Yes, I notice that a number of 64-Bit versions are very new/beta, or mention restricted functionality. For example, IE(64) supposedly doesn't run Flash, although this may have been resolved.

I suppose 64-Bit might be more useful for something like SQL Server? Or Excel - although I recall reading somewhere that it wasn't providing the benefits that were anticipated?

Regards, Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

agibsonsw wrote:For example, IE(64) supposedly doesn't run Flash, although this may have been resolved.
See this recent thread: Adobe Flash Player 11 released (including a 64-bit version) (but the 32-bit version of IE9 is, as far as I know, still preferable above the 64-bit version).
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you Hans.

Although, I switched to FireFox anyway - it's much faster, and neater :clapping: