Looking At A New Laptop

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Looking At A New Laptop

Post by hlewton »

In looking at a new laptop I came across what can be seen in the attachment as far a physical size of the item. I know it cannot be 4.14 inches thick. So, I am confused as to what that dimension is supposed top represent. It says L x W x H but that can't be the thickness of the laptop. Can anyone tell me what the 4.14 inches, in the WIDTH spec location, represents?
ASUS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Looking At A New Laptop

Post by HansV »

That must be a mistake - typical dimensions for an ASUS Vivobook 15 are something like 14.05" x 8.96" x 0.78" (the exact values vary from model to model)
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 21:14
That must be a mistake - typical dimensions for an ASUS Vivobook 15 are something like 14.05" x 8.96" x 0.78" (the exact values vary from model to model)
That was my thought too but Amazon has the same dimensions listed for more than one model. That is what confused me. 0.78" sounds good. The other 2 dimensions work well for me also. Thank you for the reply.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Could this be the dimensions of the box that the laptop is packed in?
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 22:38
The 4.14" may be the height of the box but it does say. "Item dimensions." If you included the packing needed in the box to protect the laptop during shipping, the Length dimension of 14.12" wouldn't leave enough length of the actual laptop to allow the screen to be 15.6" as it is advertised. So, I believe it is a mistake. However, again, I believe you could be correct about the box thickness, they just messed up in describing their dimensions.
Regards,
hlewton

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 22:38
I have met this with purchases from Canadian Tyre. A thermal blanket (car emergency etc) which is supposed to cover a standard mattress is described as 4"x4"x1", the size of the article when ready to be shipped.

I suspect that "we" are getting ready for automated shipping, and some algorithm needs to know the packet size so as to Best-Fit the article in a crate.
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

hlewton wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 23:19
... If you included the packing needed in the box to protect the laptop during shipping, the Length dimension of 14.12" wouldn't leave enough length of the actual laptop to allow the screen to be 15.6" as it is advertised.
Remember, screen dimensions are quoted as the diagonal distance from corner to corner, so a 15.6" screen could easily fit on a 14.12" wide laptop.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 17:32
hlewton wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 23:19
... If you included the packing needed in the box to protect the laptop during shipping, the Length dimension of 14.12" wouldn't leave enough length of the actual laptop to allow the screen to be 15.6" as it is advertised.
Remember, screen dimensions are quoted as the diagonal distance from corner to corner, so a 15.6" screen could easily fit on a 14.12" wide laptop.
Yep I know that. However, I also know when an item like that is shipped it is packed in styrofoam for protection. If you look at the attachment you can see that the minimum length for a 15.6" screen would be 13.6". 14.12" minus 13.6" leaves 0.52" total for styrofoam meaning only 0.260" styrofoam per side. I have never received a laptop, monitor, or anything as fragile with that kind of styrofoam packaging. I still believe the middle dimension is in error, I do not question the other 2 dimensions.
Diagonal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton