Is My USB Drive Bootable?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Is My USB Drive Bootable?

Post by BobH »

Is there a way to tell from the file directory in File Explorer if a USB drive is bootable? If so, how?

Can a non-bootable USB drive be made to be bootable without affecting its contents?

As a part of my migration to an SSD for my old laptop, I looked at my stash of thumb drives and other USB drives and found my documentation of them woefully inadequate. I am correcting that by connecting each in turn, recording the file contents by using Copy Path function in File Explorer. I would also like to determine - from that data, if possible - and record whether or not the device is bootable and the date of the boot process, if possible. If the device is not bootable, I'd like to make it bootable if possible to do it without destroying data recorded on the devices.

My search foo must be very weak today. I have not been able to find answers to those 2, to me, simple questions.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Is My USB Drive Bootable?

Post by JoeP »

As part of the process of creating a bootable drive, the USB driver will be formatted. You will lose all data on the drive. If you need it, copy it somewhere before beginning the process.
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 22:06
Is there a way to tell from the file directory in File Explorer if a USB drive is bootable? If so, how?..
Does anything on this page help you?
    https://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/how ... ws-10.html

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Ken. That is the VERY information my search foo failed to find. :wine: :chocciebar:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I just typed:
    Is my USB stick bookable
Into Google

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

stuck wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 22:01
I just typed:
    Is my USB stick bookable
Into Google
Trust you to use the correct search string! :cheers: :thumbup:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...