Using a different charger

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Using a different charger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

See also my topic Chargers vs Adapters
I have been given a battery charger "Big Device" suitable for a car (as in "Jump Starting")
20240119_151915.jpg
The model number is 011-1911-0 and I cannot find a manual (discontinued line at Canadian Tyre) nor a picture of the charger for the Big Device. I suspect the donation came about because the previous owner has lost the little charger.

I own a box of about a dozen chargers from various computing devices, most of which bear labels similar to this:-
20240119_153341.jpg
I'm not too worried about the Big Device (although it could drive a reading lamp and an immersion heater next time our power "goes out") nor one of over a dozen computer device chargers that I haven't used in perhaps ten years.

But I would hate to destroy a piece of equipment for the sake of trying to resolve my ignorance.
Untitled.png
The user manual says "Adapter 15v DC @ 800 ma", so I warily suppose that an exact match should work well without damaging either the charger or the Big Device.
Question 1: Am I correct in the above assumption?

The closest match I possess is "9V at 300 ma"
Question 2: A lower voltage from one of my chargers means that it will take longer to charge the big device. I think of voltage as "pressure". Am I correct?
Question 2: A higher amperage (e.g. 2000 mA > 300 mA) means "more energy per unit time", so that might burn out the charging chunk of the Big Device. Am I correct?

In short :groan: if I ***had*** to use the 9v @ 300 mA I would give it a try. I don't care that it takes three or more days to charge up the Big Device. Our last power outage of more than 2 hours was 4 years ago.

So much for the theory.

I see that Canadian Tyre has the adapter (011-1599) for $20 plus shipping, plus tax on top of that, so I won't be offended if a response says "Chris, order the adapter when the pension comes in, and get on with your life, such as it is!".

But still and all I am curious about what leeway there is in these adapters that breed within the carton year by year.

Thanks, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Leif
Administrator

Re: Using a different charger

Post by Leif »

Roughly speaking:

You should ALWAYS match the manufacturer's recommendation unless you have good knowledge of the product and and understanding of what you are doing.

Charger Voltage: I would guess that the internal battery would be a nominal 12V, possibly charging up to 13.5V. This means that anything under 15V may be a waste of time, and anything over 15V risks burning out the internal electronics. (I would guess that there is minimal internal regulation as it adds cost and inefficiency.)

Charger Current: It may be that the internal regulation would handle more than the 800mA stated, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

Big Battery Capacity: Stated capacity is 12Ah, which means that you could (should) get 12A out of it for 1 hour. This, of course, depends on the condition of the battery.
"1200 PEAK AMPS" means that you can draw 1200A out of it short term. Possibly for just a few seconds.
"600A CRANK ASSIST AMPS" means that you should be able to draw 600A out for long enough to start an average car, maybe 5-10 seconds.
(I would like to think there would be an in-built thermal trip for protection from extended use.)

1200A out of a good condition 12Ah battery would last a maximum of 12/1200 hours, or around 36 seconds. If you can find a 12V element for your immersion heater, rated at say 1KW, you may - if you are lucky - get it warming your water for about 8.6 minutes from a full charge.

Depeneding on previous usage, there is also the possiblity that the battery is knackered, either from normal use or being left uncharged. If you have access to a voltmeter and can measure the output volts at anything less than 11V, I wouldn't waste your money or time.
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Using a different charger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 10:23
You should ALWAYS match the manufacturer's recommendation unless you have good knowledge of the product and and understanding of what you are doing.
Thanks Leif; you have "pushed me over the edge" into NOT trying to mix-and-match.

A new adapter/charger is $20.
A new car battery charger is $90
I do not own a car.

I suspect that my collection of chargers - about a dozen - are good for only one thing: To set up a small electro-plating business here in Bonavista!
Thanks again, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle