surprising battery life

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

surprising battery life

Post by stuck »

My Lenovo laptop is packaged and ready for collection by FedEx so I've dug out the old Acer laptop (which can't be updated beyond Win 8.1) that I was using prior to buying the Lenovo, so I can browse from the comfort of my sofa.

When I last used this laptop, the battery life was only about an hour but for a machine that's many years old that's not surprising. What has surprised me though is that having not used it for at least five months the battery life seems to have improved! At the moment the battery status says '69% 2hr 49min remaining'.

If, as I expect, the in warranty repair has no effect on the Lenovo then I suspect I wouldn't go far wrong by making my Plan B to be 'buy an Acer'.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: surprising battery life

Post by HansV »

The Acer's battery has had a good rest and is feeling spry again... :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

stuck wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 19:03
If, as I expect, the in warranty repair has no effect on the Lenovo then I suspect I wouldn't go far wrong by making my Plan B to be 'buy an Acer'.

Ken
Not a bad plan at all, Ken. Some people I know thought me crazy when I bought an Acer desktop back around 2010, given Acer's supposedly poor reputation. It is still my main Windows computer, with its original motherboard, Intel Core i7 920 CPU, 9GBytes RAM and original HDD supplemented by an upgraded SSD as the system disk. It meets all my needs, running Windows 10 Pro but cannot be upgraded to Win 11 because of hardware requirements.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

PaulB wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 02:30
...Some people I know thought me crazy when I bought an Acer desktop...
:nope: you're not crazy. With hindsight, I should have bought an Acer laptop in the first place because:
1) I bought an Acer laptop for one of my sons in around 2010, it came with Windows Vista. It did him for his final two years of school and his four year university degree. Last I heard it still boots!
2) I bought an Acer Notebook in 2012, as an ultra portable device for our blow out family trip to New Zealand. It came with Windows 7 Starter Edition and still worked in 2021.
3) I bought an Acer laptop from my other son (running Win 7 and Win 10 capable) around 2014 that did him for his final school years and his university, until he dropped it and that blew the motherboard. He subsequently bought himself another Acer laptop (running Win 10) and he still using it.
4) In 2021 I inherited an Acer laptop (running Win 8.1) that I'd bought for my mother several years earlier, the device that I resurrected yesterday and that prompted me to start this topic.

So why didn't I buy an Acer? I was seduced by the really good monitor panel (2K resolution and 100% sRGB gamut coverage) on the Lenovo, which though expensive was not as pricey as the equivalent from other brands. I had the idea of being able to edit my photos from the comfort of my sofa.

Ah, hindsight, if only we had it before things happen...

Ken

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

stuck wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 12:53
Ah, hindsight, if only we had it before things happen...

Ken
Wise words, Ken!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.