dire battery life

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

dire battery life

Post by stuck »

I've mentioned previously that I bought a Win 11 laptop, a Lenovo LOQi15. It seemed like a good value for money, especially as it has a dedicated graphics card and a 2K panel capable of displaying 100% of the sRGB gamut.

Given the fairly high specs I wasn't expecting an exciting battery life but I was anticipating at least the 5 hours Lenovo claimed. For the first couple of months I got close to 5 hours but then it started to slide and when it reached a mere 2 hours, when doing nothing but basic Internet browsing, I opened a ticket with Lenovo. That was just before Christmas.

Lenovo Service have been responsive but not very helpful, basically saying the only way to try to fix the problem was a full scale nuclear PC reset and then use the machine in that state to see what the battery life is like then. Today I have done that so now I'm messing around on it using only Edge to see how quickly the batter drains. I can report that it's down from 100% to 81% in the few minutes it's taken me to login here and type out this message, and the status is 1 hr 31 mins remaining.

I will now go and browse a few other sites and then run a battery report so that I've got data to submit to Lenovo first thing. I want my money back but from what they've said so far I'll probably have to go to the UK Small Claims Court an try to prove that I was mis-sold this device in order to achieve that.

Hey ho, c'est la vie.

DON'T buy a Lenovo device.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Re: dire battery life

Post by StuartR »

How annoying
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:bummer: Bummer!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:yep: annoying and :bummer: just about sum it up.

Here I am, about 15 mins later and the battery is now saying' 63% 1 hr 39mins remaining' :scratch: a 20% drop yet an 8 min increase in expected life?

:igiveup:

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I reported the failure of the factory reset to improve the battery life this morning and quickly got an offer of an in warranty repair. Tomorrow morning's task will be to package up the laptop (I kept the original packaging) ready for it to be collected.

I'm not hopeful the repair will make any difference though as searches I've done find I'm not the only person to be unhappy with the battery life on this type of Lenovo laptop. Now if I'd only discovered that before I'd parted with cash...

:sigh:

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

:sad:
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Well, that was surprisingly quick. The laptop was collected on Monday Jan 8 and returned to me this morning, Thurs 11 Jan. The accompanying paperwork says they've replaced the battery.

It will be next week though before I can power it up and test it as I'm unexpectedly busy this weekend and I want to give it my undivided attention.

Ken

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Here's hoping for the best!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Are you going to make a video "Watching battery drain"?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Good luck, Ken.

I'll be watching for your post of results.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

This morning I powered up the 'repaired' laptop. I completed the Windows setup process with it plugged into the mains. I then powered it down completely and left it.

After lunch, I powered it up on battery and even though all I've done is click through to the battery settings, the battery has gone from 99% to 89% in not many minutes and the estimated battery life is currently showing as '2h 34min', i.e not much better than before the repair.

I've reported this to Lenovo and await their response.

Ken