USB Ports and USB HDD Not Showing Up

BobH
UraniumLounger

USB Ports and USB HDD Not Showing Up

Post by BobH »

Is there any way to identify the physical ports with the list of USB controllers in Device Manager?
Dev Mgr USB Controllers 2023-07-24_13h55_25.png
I recently purchased an external HHD enclosure and put a 3.0TB hard drive in it. The enclosure has its own switched power source and a 3.1 GB USB interface. When I plug it into a USB hub, the hard drive doesn't appear. I expected that, but when I plug it into a USB port on my HP laptop if also fails to appear. The HDD enclosure light is lit indicating to me that it is receiving power. There are (I think) at least 3 possibilities: the enclosure is bad; the HDD is bad, the USB interface - to include the port on the laptop - is bad. I've ruled out the laptop port because I can plug an SSD enclosure into that port and it works. I checked all USB controllers to see if there were driver updates with all saying that the driver is up to date. Before I start swapping USB connections around, it occurred to me that I could not tell which port corresponded with which controller shown in Device Manager. This is more a matter of inquisitiveness than for troubleshooting the current issue, though.

EDITED to add that I've also tried a different USB cable and rebooting without success.

EDITED AGAIN to add that I can't check to see of the disk is formatted because the device doesn't appear in File Explorer or in Device Manager. I have removed and re-seated the hard drive in the enclosure, too.

I've searched but found little useful information for trouble shooting the failure of the HDD to appear in the system (Windows 20 22H2 Build 19045-3208 with Experience Pack 000.19041.1000.0, if any of that matters).

Can anyone suggest things that might work?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: USB Ports and USB HDD Not Showing Up

Post by JoeP »

Check out USB Tree Viewer. It is portable and free.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: USB Ports and USB HDD Not Showing Up

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Joe! :chocciebar: :chocciebar:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs