Forestalling Problems with SDCard in laptop

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Forestalling Problems with SDCard in laptop

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Why won't an SDCard fit into the slot on the side of my HP15 laptop?
2023_06_20230617_123810.jpg
The culprit is the blue SDCard, on the left in the image above. This card is about ten years old, but I can't remember for sure if i have ever used it in a laptop. I'd like to use it now in a trial of "removable media"
2023_06_20230617_123828.jpg
The image above shows the three SDCards flipped over; my culprit is still at the left.
The other two cards are actually SDCard-adapters, into which a mobile phone micro-SDCard can be placed. In my trial i want to make use of a phone SDCard.
2023_06_20230617_123914.jpg
This image shows the SDCrads/adapters in their plastic carry-cases; sadly the culprit card is now in the centre of the line-up.

I recall having problems with these three devices four years ago Problems with SDCard in Moto-X Android, but then the problem was with a corrupted micro-SD card in my first phone. When I bought a new phone it came with its own microSDcard, and this card seems to work in an adapter.

My new problem is that the Blue "Betty" SDCard which sounds as if it fitted into a laptop four years back, will not fit into this new (for me) HP15 laptop.

Any suggestions? I'm waiting for the rain to stop so I can retrieve my claw-hammer from the shed. :evilgrin:
Thanks, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 19 Jun 2023, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Foestalling Problems with SDCard in laptop

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 12:23
...will not fit into this new (for me) HP15 laptop...
You mean you cannot physically insert the card into the slot because the card seems to be too wide / thick to go into the slot? Meanwhile the two adaptors do slide in / eject as expected?

If so, then the problem card is probably deformed in some way so only solution I can think of is to bin it and replace it with one from a known / reputable brand, like Sandisk or Lexar. Also, ensure you buy the replacement card from a reliable source, where you can be confident you are not going to get sent a cheap generic card masquerading as a known brand. Counterfeits are rife in the world of SD cards.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Foestalling Problems with SDCard in laptop

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 13:54
ChrisGreaves wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 12:23
...will not fit into this new (for me) HP15 laptop...
You mean you cannot physically insert the card into the slot because the card seems to be too wide / thick to go into the slot? Meanwhile the two adaptors do slide in / eject as expected?

If so, then the problem card is probably deformed in some way so only solution I can think of is to bin it and replace it with one from a known / reputable brand, like Sandisk or Lexar. Also, ensure you buy the replacement card from a reliable source, where you can be confident you are not going to get sent a cheap generic card masquerading as a known brand. Counterfeits are rife in the world of SD cards.
Thanks Ken.
Well. This IS embarassing!
This morning I thought to try the adapater and the SDCard in the old DELL/Win7.
They both slotted in to the same distance - about 2mm overhang outside the laptop case.

So I went back to this HP15 and they both slotted in to the same distance - about 2mm overhang outside the laptop case.
20230620_094737.jpg
Here I show the old, blue, "Betty" SD card with its overhang.
Untitled2.png
And here it shows up as a local drive, which is what I want.
Indeed, I want to use this genuine full-size camera SDCard AND The adapter (holding the micro card from my LGK30 smartphone) as transient devices in my Everything trials.

I think I was tired, overworked, or getting older(1) when I tried the SDCard and panicked. probably I remembered the adapter as fitting flush - in the smartphone - and that had remained in my befuddled brain as "fitting flush in the laptop slot".

When you are my age you'll understand ...

Of course in part I am growing used to there being half a dozen standard sizes for USB cables, half a dozen standard sizes for everything else that is new under the sun, so I am now Pavloved to expect that something that fitted into a laptop five years ago will no longer fit into a laptop today.

Anyway, thanks again for your response; it caused me to experiment more and hence resolved my so-called problem.
:thankyou:
Cheers, Chris
(1)Hans understands!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

William
StarLounger

Re: Forestalling Problems with SDCard in laptop

Post by William »

I'm glad it worked out for you and Betty :heart: .

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Forestalling Problems with SDCard in laptop

Post by ChrisGreaves »

William wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 02:43
I'm glad it worked out for you and Betty :heart: .
Thanks William, It sure has worked out for me. I'm not so sure about Betty, however; she has been offline since 2014 :grin:
Cheers, Chris