Driver for HP 540

Slim
StarLounger

Driver for HP 540

Post by Slim »

I am using Windows 7 with a new Dell 8300 computer which is essentially a 64 bit machine.
For quit a while I have been using an HP 540 Ink Jet printer with my desktop. Now with this change in computers I have learned that my printer is not compatible with the new computer. A call to HP revealed that they have no new driver for the HP540 and do not intend to provide one. Sounds like planned obsolesence to me.
My question is this. Is there any other source that might provide a driver for the Dell 8300 using Windows 7 to be compatible with the HP540 printer??
Regards,
Slim

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Driver for HP 540

Post by John Gray »

I've had some success with the HP Universal Printer Driver (for PCL5), but if your printer has unusual feature(s) it probably won't support this/these.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

This procedure will install a Windows driver for a printer that I assume is compatible with the OS. If your printer isn't listed use the nearest match. E.g. If HP 540 isn't listed try the HP 500.

In Windows 7 - Start | Devices and Printers | Add Printer | Choose a Printer Port: Use an existing port: LPT1 | Next | In the left hand pane select HP | In the right-hand pane select the printer you want to add | Next | Next etc.

HTH

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Dear John,
I tried installing the HP Universal Prilnter Driver (for PCL5) that you recommended but without success. After the download the printer was displayed under Devices and Printers but a test page would not print. Apparently the driver was not compatible with my HP 540.

Dear Malcolm,
I did follow your instructions and selected the closest HP Deskjet Printer that was listed for HP. Note: the HP540 was not listed. I chose the HP Deskjet 5100 and followed the remainder of the instructions. The HP5100 was properly shown under Devices and Printers but a test page would not print. Apparently the driver for the HP5100 was not compatible with the HP540. Note: there was no HP500 listed.

Thank you both for your responses. If there is something else that you think I should try please let me know.

Sibncerely,
Slim

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Sadly it sounds to me like "new printer time"...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Slim, I bought my first computer 18 years ago and with it a HP520 printer. May I suggest that your HP540 owes you nothing!

BTW I have a HP LaserJet 4L from the same era that is a least 15 years old and was still working satisfactorily when I replaced it earlier this year.

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Dear Malcolm,
You have the secret to longivity. I only wish I could achieve what you did. My HP540 was working just fine until I got the new computer. It does seem that HP is using this as an example of planned obsolesence.
Thanks again.
Slim

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Slim wrote:Dear Malcolm,
You have the secret to longivity. I only wish I could achieve what you did. My HP540 was working just fine until I got the new computer. It does seem that HP is using this as an example of planned obsolesence.
Thanks again.
Slim
I tend to agree with you, Slim.
While I like and use some HP products, they do seem to not put much emphasis on keeping their older products supplied with proper updates for new OSs.
Call it marketing strategies if you wish? Not the most customer friendly plan.
( something like, cheap printers....expensive inks )
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.