Upsizing a laptops SSD

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Upsizing a laptops SSD

Post by Peter Kinross »

My laptops SSD is nearly full. Lenovo want over $600 to upgrade to a 256 GB SSD. Way too much capacity, I only want 128 Gb. (Way, way to many $s too). The drive size is 1.8", but there are many different combinations out there and not all would be compatible.
Does anyone know of a web site that has compatibility info?
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Upsizing a laptops SSD

Post by StuartR »

In my experience these things are mostly interchangeable. What model of laptop is it?
StuartR

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Stuart.
The catch is that word 'mostly'. Also the performance of some leaves a lot to be desired.
The laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad x300
(It's half past midnight, I'm off to the cot, so I can't reply anymore until the morn)
Goodnight.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Most of the SSDs with good reviews are 2.5", I am pretty sure that any 1.8" SSD will fit your laptop, but many of them have pretty poor performance.
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

You might have interesting problems with drivers, unless you choose the same make - and maybe not even then...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks John, I hadn't thought of the obvious. Get the current make and ask that manufacturer (if possible) if they have a suitable one.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Searching around the internet I came across this thread which says
The X300 supports any 1.8" SSDs as long as they physically fit and use the micro-SATA interface
and this slightly older thread which says
...I would not recommend changing your drive because the 64GB Samsung SLC that came with the x300 is one of (if not the best) SSD drives available. Almost any other drive will be a step back in performance....
Finally, there is a site here which lists lots of SSD disks by height/interface/size/speed so that you can at least see which might be possible. You will need a 1.8", uSATA, > 64GB. The only ones listed here are And neither of these is well reviewed.
StuartR

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Stuart.
All I can say is AAHHH! :groan:
I am caught between a rock & a hard place. $650 to upgrade to a too large 256 Gb SSD or $1500 to get a new laptop. Prices in Australia are stupidly high. Manufacturers seem to apply a 1.5 Australian pricing factor. But computer manufacturers are not alone, most manufacturers of all products do it here in Aus.
The 256 Gb SSD would be no good as the laptop would become too heavy, with all the extra data, if I filled the drive up <grin>.
Rather frustrating all round eh?