Looking for an App

BobH
UraniumLounger

Looking for an App

Post by BobH »

Does anyone know of an app that will track and report response time?

As an old programmer (old being the operant term), I think it might be possible; but I have no experience with the PC platform. I wish it were an option in the OS and would update a box in the lower right corner of my screen where the 'notifications' box currently lives. In my age-affected mind, the timer would start when the enter key is pressed and would stop and display when a new screen is displayed. Of course, it would have to be based on each open tab and not be affected by changing tabs, ie, the timer would not be invoked when changing tabs.

Many decades ago I ran a multi-state private data network; there were no public ones in those days. It was driven by IBM hardware, AT&T modems, and CICS on the mainframe. We didn't have tools robust enough at the time, but I always wanted to put a response time counter on the screen when it was refreshed; so that we could track and confirm what users were reporting as slow response so that we could troubleshoot and resolve issues.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Looking for an App

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 18:23
...the timer would start when the enter key is pressed and would stop and display when a new screen is displayed...
Does that mean you want to measure how long it takes your laptop to do a particular task, like:
open a document / spreadsheet / a file stored locally on the laptop
open any one of the myriad of Settings screens in Windows
open a webpage?

For the third of those options, does this Google search help you?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=measure ... +load+time

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

No, Ken. What I want to do is measure how long it takes from when I press enter in my browser to the time the screen is replaced with the a new one.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 23:08
No, Ken. What I want to do is measure how long it takes from when I press enter in my browser to the time the screen is replaced with the a new one.
Err, isn't that what the first hit tells you?
How to Check Page Load Time?

There are various methods you can use to check page load time:

Chrome/Firefox browser:
Open the web page you want to inspect in your Chrome/Firefox browser. Right-click and select “Inspect.” Go to the “Network” tab in the pop-up window. As your web page loads, you can see all the information, including the load time. Note: Chrome also has an open-source automated tool called Lighthouse to measure the site’s performance. Click the “>” button and select Lighthouse to get started.
Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Ken.

I run Firefox on Windows 10. When I right click and choose Inspect, I get cross-hair lines and no drop down menu doing as you suggest.

I tried SpeedTest but it doesn't offer Windows 10 and Firefox as a combo but, curiously, does offer Windows 11 and Firefox for testing.

Still looking.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 18:52
...I run Firefox on Windows 10. When I right click and choose Inspect, I get cross-hair lines...
Yes but you also get a ton of other things in the pane that appears at the bottom.

Try clicking on the 'Network' tab in that bottom pane and then read and act on the instruction in the second bullet point.

Does that help?

Ken
EDITED TO ADD according to the data I got it took 1.06 secs between me clicking 'Submit' and the page refreshing to show my post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If that doesn't help, try searching using the keywords:
    firefox page load time extension

You'll get hits but I have no idea if any of them are any good.

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

try using the developer tools in FF. Click the hamburger menu, More Tools, Web developer tools. The Networking button will give you more information than you want. There is also a "clock" button to present a visual analysis of the page load by file type.
Joe