Mapping street addresses into Google maps

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Give a set of street addresses:-
• 4 Henry's Lane
• 12 Canon Bailey Road
• 3 Baker's Marsh Road
• 16-18 Butts Lane
• 11 Saints Lane
what, if any, software is known that can push that street data into Google Maps (or similar mapping software) and hence produce an image
(a) with pins/markers or better yet
(b) directions to visit each street address (as in "a walking tour").
Thanks in advance for any clues.

I have seen web pages that sprout such devices; Google maps is of course one such web page, but I am trying to avoid keying or pasting in each address one-by-one.
As well
(c) shortest duration route would be good to have.
Thanks Chris
P.S I have had limited success in programming via Selenium C
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Mapping street addresses into Google maps

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 15:08
Give a set of street addresses... ...programming...
:scratch: By the time you have figured out how to even start coding you could have entered the addresses into Google maps and had it plot the route for you.

I learnt a long, long, time ago not to solve a problem that someone else had already solved.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 16:29
:scratch: By the time you have figured out how to even start coding you could have entered the addresses into Google maps and had it plot the route for you.
Ken, that is true only of you want to perform the exercise one time; and I confess that I omitted the traditional phrase "as an example" in my original post! It is not true if you are thinking of doing the exercise thousands of times.
Consider, for example, if you wanted to show a path between all AirBnB sites in each town around the world ... or a path between all houses for sale in each town around the world.
Or every variety/convenience store in Toronto Canada.

When you factor in the shortest (time or distance!) possible route, a computer, properly programmed, really comes into its own. :overclocking:
I "got into" programming when I found that once I had written a FORTRAN program to calculate the determinant of any square matrix, I would never have to calculate that by hand. Ever. Again. :grin:
I learnt a long, long, time ago not to solve a problem that someone else had already solved.
I agree with you here. Which is why I am asking if anyone here knows of an existing solution.
Cheers mate
Chris

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 17:16
.. anyone here knows of an existing solution....
Good luck, my understanding it is a non-trivial problem that has challenged mathematicians for a very long time.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travellin ... an_problem

Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

stuck wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 18:28
my understanding it [the travelling salesman problem] is a non-trivial problem that has challenged mathematicians for a very long time.
Work of a moment for Chris! :innocent:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 17:43
See if Import map features from a file helps.
Apologies to all, especially Joe. This morning I had worked my way back up my Inbox to December.
mapping_01.png
My first effort is shown above.
A piece of cake! Even ***I*** could get it to work on my first shot. THANKS JOE!

Now Bonavista is a strange town. I often see addresses that just do not show up on Google maps, even streets that don't appear on Google maps.
So I am not surprised to see only three pins on the image when five addresses were uploaded.
I need to do more work on this, so I will continue, but I am glad I made a start.
My next efforts will be street addresses in St John's. Or Toronto.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
ChrisGreaves wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 17:16
.. anyone here knows of an existing solution....
Good luck, my understanding it is a non-trivial problem that has challenged mathematicians for a very long time.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travellin ... an_problem
Hi Ken. I agree that determining an optimal route is a non-trivial problem. Hence my (a) and (b).
This morning I achieved (a) and placed map pins on a map.

The idea stemmed from trying to choose a dentist and denturist in St John's. For me, a trip to St John's is a twelve-hour journey - taxi picks me up at 6am and drops me off at 6pm.
I thought to myself: What if I dropped pins for every dentist and denturist in St Johns and chose two who are withing walking distance. (Buses in St John's run every hour, so it can take 2 hours to get from A to B!)
If I can squeeze two visits into one day, I can save myself a day away fro Bonavista (and $120)

Now other factors come into play when choosing mouth-surgery.
But in principle the same idea would apply if one wanted to choose where to shop in terms of Building Supplies AND Garden Centres AND Electronics Outlets.

Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 20:10
stuck wrote:
my understanding it [the travelling salesman problem] is a non-trivial problem that has challenged mathematicians for a very long time.
Work of a moment for Chris! :innocent:
Wrong Again!
It took me 2+ months. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Cheers, Chris