GIT and Posh-GIT

BobH
UraniumLounger

GIT and Posh-GIT

Post by BobH »

Are there any web developers here who use GIT or more specifically posh-git?

I'm still struggling with setting up my web code management environment. I want to use GIT for change and version control so I don't clobber what I have hosted accidentally. I have managed to install GIT and have completed a comprehensive tutorial on how to use it. Now that I have GIT installed, I'd like to have the posh-git version to use because it helps track what code is in the development process, what is staged, and what has been committed. The screenshot shows what I see when I start GIT, but it is not posh-git.
GIT.PNG
I've been struggling for 2 days to get posh-git installed. I've followed articles describing how to do it without success after repeated attempts. I have the Windows PowerShell installed. I have GIT it in a cmd window as the screenshot shows. I have tried to download and install posh-git without success. When I use Everything (thanks Chris) to look for a poshgit.exe file I cannot find one. I don't know if one is even supposed to exist. The following screenshot shows the posh-git directory after installation. The folder shown, when opened, displays a txt filename. No posh-git.exe file. Should one exist? IDK
poshgit.PNG
If anyone can straighten me out or point me to a good wiki, I'd be much obliged.
FWIW I've failed to find an online forum that addresses such topics for noobs like me. :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs