Downloading from the Wayback Machine

BobH
UraniumLounger

Downloading from the Wayback Machine

Post by BobH »

{ Scuttlebutt chosen because I wasn't smart enough to figure out where this post belongs.}

I want to download several snapshots of a web page from The Wayback Machine. I know the URL and even have found several dates when snapshots were taken, but I was stumped on figuring out how to do downloads with that information. The web pages I want to download are for a web site I composed and hosted more than a decade ago and for which I have lost the code due to poor back up and recovery practices. I probably have the code on an HDD but cannot find it on any one currently mounted.

Searches revealed a command line app called wget but I haven't learned how to get it, install it and use it from the web pages I found.

Searches also revealed something called a Ruby Gem. Again, I don't know enough to interpret and understand instructions given for using it. I did learn that Ruby is apparently an app, but I don't know how to find out if it is installed on my machine. It doesn't show up as Ruby in the list of programs but an Everything 1.5 search revealed a pageful of files with Ruby in their names. They are in paths and directories associated with SketchUp which leads me to believe that they might indicate that Ruby is installed; however, I have no clue how to run it and haven't found anything yet that explains it in a way I can understand. I seem to be losing marbles daily. :scratch:

If anyone has a link to good wiki on downloading from TWM, on wget, or on Ruby Gem, I'd be much obliged . . .

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Downloading from the Wayback Machine

Post by HansV »

I'll move it to Web Development.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I thought maybe wget and ruby took it outside that since they are apps (I think).

Sorry for the extra work.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Other Software would have been possible too, but it doesn't really matter...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
08 Aug 2023, 20:00
I want to download several snapshots of a web page from The Wayback Machine. I know the URL
Hi Bob. I may be missing something here, but if the number of images and/or complete web pages you want are few, why not try:-
Right-Click
SaveAs
?

I just tried it on one of my web pages:-
Untitled.png
I right-clicked where it reads "Continuous-flow ..." and chose saveAs (or "Save Link As")
Untitled2.png
And here is the web page, saved as an HTM file on my RAM disk.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

In Edge, you can use the "web capture" (CTRL+Shift+S) function to capture the page. You can also right-click on the page and select "View page source" (CTRL+U) if you want the source code.
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

JoeP wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 14:06
In Edge...
In Firefox:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-save-web-page#
and to see the page source, RIGHT click and choose the relevant option.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

The web pages I want to retrieve exist only in the archives at The Wayback Machine. They cannot be displayed in a browser from there, to my knowledge. If someone can tell me how to display them capturing their source is easy.

As I mentioned in the OP, the only ways I've found to retrieve web pages from The Wayback Machine archives are by using wget or gem, neither of which do I know how to use.

Of course, it's always possible that my old grey cells (note the emphasis on the old) have become too rigid and unused to exercise . . .
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 17:21
The web pages I want to retrieve exist only in the archives at The Wayback Machine. They cannot be displayed in a browser from there, to my knowledge. If someone can tell me how to display them capturing their source is easy...
I must be missing something because I thought the whole point of The Wayback Machine was to view old sites in your browser. For example:
1) Go to: https://web.archive.org/
2) Enter 'eileenslounge.com' (or the actual domain you are interested in) into the search box and press enter
3) You get a page displaying a timeline of all the captures plus the same thing in a calendar layout underneath
4) In the calender, hover over a highlighted date, you get a pop-up giving you the time on that date when a capture was made
5) In the pop-up, click on the time of the capture
6) The page, as captured, loads in your browser.
7) RIGHT click and choose 'Save page as'. NB ensure the 'save as type' is set to 'web page complete'
8) Complete the save, making sure you know which folder you're saving to

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Ken, you are absolutely correct.

I was suffering from a case of concrete brains.

I have now displayed and captured some of the pages of my old web page. Many of the links do not point to content, but I've not yet given up hope.

Thanks for helping through the mental fog.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 17:46
5) In the pop-up, click on the time of the capture
Thanks Ken. I had forgotten about r/c on the time of capture (which serves as a unique identifier).
Untitled.png
Ah! Those were the days ...
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I've never used the Wayback Machine so I followed Ken's instructions above and found the first ever snapshot of 'Eileenslounge.com' captured on March 31, 2010 at 20:44:15.

Registered users online at that time were Alexa [Bot], ChrisGreaves and HansV (surprise, surprise), Mark L, Pat, Rudi (Hi, Rudi) and yours truly. We are all now historical footnotes.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Eileen's Lounge was only 2 months old at that time...

Here's a blast from the past:

Nostalgia.png
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 21:53
Eileen's Lounge was only 2 months old at that time...
... and here is some pre-fabricated nostalgia for members of Eileen's Lounge circa 2073
Untitled2.jpg
Cheers Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

^^^
I'll let you know but until then you'll just have to fend for yourself. :grin:

How many petabytes do you suppose the archive already holds?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

The Internet Archive is a unique and valuable resource that depends on donations to survive. To anyone who is able, I'd urge sending some cash their way.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 21:53
...Here's a blast from the past...
Ooo, those were the days!

Whatever happened to Lex? He never made it here did he?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Eileen Wharmby had customized the forum software used by Woody's Lounge to animate Lex the Lounge Lizard. It was not feasible to do that in phpBB3 here. And we might have run into problems with Windows Secrets.
Best wishes,
Hans