Notepad++and HTML Questions

BobH
UraniumLounger

Notepad++and HTML Questions

Post by BobH »

I started this thread as a place to ask the cognoscenti questions about Notepad++ that I haven't found answers for by searching; so, perhaps my first question should be to ask for pointers on good tutorials or articles on how to use NP++ for coding. I've read several and watched several YouTube videos on using NP++ to code HTML and still have questions. I'm also using the W3C courses for an HTML refresher and relearning process; so a question about HTML might hear, too.

I found (I think) that NP++ will fill in or pre-format some elements and components such as completing the </H1> if I enter <H1>. It's too early yet for me to be sure I've got this figured out. There may be questions later.

Does anyone know if NP++ has the ability to display information about tags and elements? I have a vague recollection from my ventures into HTML editing that I could set a column to appear that would contain markup keywords with examples. I was using an editor whose name I cannot recall and cannot find at the time, not NP++; so I might be conflating things inappropriately. What remember was a window not too unlike the Document Map that is available in NP++.

If anyone knows the name of an editor for simple coding published by someone in Israel, please let me know. That is all I can recall about the editor that I licensed and used more than a decade ago for coding.

I'll leave it at that for now. More - perhaps - later.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: Notepad++and HTML Questions

Post by Jay Freedman »

NP++ can autocomplete tags in HTML, but you have to set an option to turn it on. Go to Settings > Preferences > Auto-Completion and check the box for "html/xml tag" at the bottom of the dialog.

I don't know about the editor you used to use. The only paid editor I have is UltraEdit from IDM Computer Solutions.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Notepad++and HTML Questions

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Jay.

I've discovered Firefox Developer which will do what I want and even more. With it you can see changes you make in the window immediately as well as the HTML tools.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs