Message Relay Service

BobH
UraniumLounger

Message Relay Service

Post by BobH »

Does anyone know if there is a service available that will convert messages sent to it as text or email text to smartphone text and relay it to a known recipient's smartphone?

Perhaps there are other ways to answer the question that came to me in designing my web page. I want to create a contact function that will allow authorized users to send me messages directly on the web page or in email form and have those messages processed by a service (or embedded function?) and forwarded to me as text messages without disclosing my phone number.

My first thought was to embed the function into the web page, but there is no link between the Internet and the telephone system that I know of. I then thought that with a bi-directional index of phone numbers to IP addresses this might be possible if that communications link could be established. If VoIP is possible then shouldn't IP to the voice network be possible (with the caveat that instead of voice SMS text would be sent on the voice network)? It's clear that I don't understand all I know about this technology. :innocent: However, as I understand it the phone network switched from analog to digital some years back and that it works on packet switching technology AND that packets can be digitized voice or other digital information AND that the packets somehow know or can signal that their content is either data or digitized voice or video. IFFFFF . . . all of that is given, then the service I envision should be possible, no?

This is far beyond my technical knowledge and skillset; so I thought that perhaps someone much smarter than I had already implemented such a service. I tried to search but couldn't come up with satisfactory search arguments to find one.

Anyone know of such an animal?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Last edited by BobH on 29 Jul 2023, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Message Relay Service

Post by HansV »

I'll move this topic to Web Development.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I can't answer your question but a Google search on part of your post, namely this text:
    create a contact function that will allow authorized users to send me messages directly on the web page or in email form
found this:
https://realpython.com/python-send-email/

You might get a better response if you try asking an AI service.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Ken.

I think the Python think is an email generator not an email to SMS converter, but I only gave it a quick scan.

Do you have an AI service you recommend?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, again, Ken!!!

Your reply got me poking around following links until I found what I think is the correct term for the function I was thinking about: email to SMS gateway.

I found this web page that holds promise for me.

:wine: :chocciebar: :wine:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Don't know if it helps, but, my observatory equipment is controlled by a piece of software called NINA. One of the NINA plugins is called Ground Station and Ground station sends notifications from NINA to my phone using a choice of third party software options. I use Pushover, which probably won't do what you need. But one of the other supported services is called IFTTT (If This Then That) "An easy to use configurable webhooks-based gateway to control a wide variety of messaging platforms and IoT devices." This would probably do it.

https://ifttt.com/

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Graeme!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You could set up an email rule in your mail client to forward to your phone. See Forward email to the phone as text message for a list of many of the phone providers in the USA. As part of the rule, you could delete the email or move it to a folder if you want to save it.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Joe.

I'll check into that too.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)