Adobe and AVG fighting it out

Timelord
4StarLounger

Adobe and AVG fighting it out

Post by Timelord »

I use AVG Free at home and over the last week it has been finding a virus at least daily. The reason I think this is related to Adobe is that right after the virus is found I will go to a web site and be asked to upgrade / download the latest version. Has anyone else been running into this?
Who will you Inspire today?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Adobe and AVG fighting it out

Post by HansV »

There was a problem last year with AVG suddenly reporting a Trojan which turned out to be a 'false positive' hit on Adobe Reader X. Perhaps this has popped up again...
You could ditch either AVG (for example for Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast! or Avira AntiVir - all free) or Adobe Reader (for example for Foxit Reader)
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Adobe what?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

As I alluded to earlier, I think we'll need some more information, unless some fellow Lounger recognises this; has experienced the same with AVG Free recently.

From a general perspective, if an AV software, as part of its process removing a virus, removes components that are vital for other software, that other software will need some repair, a reinstall.

If an AV software for some reason has decided that some files contains malicious code, and that isn't the case, it's a false positive; it happens sometimes for most AV software and as Hans mentioned AVG has had their fair share, in for example Adobe software (Reader and Flash player), Windows files etc.

However, we usually don't see false positive results that last several days, if one updates the virus definitions, that is.

(It can of course happen with files not commonly used by a large amount of people; files that the AV company isn’t aware of, but I don’t think Adobe’s software fall into that category.)

It can also be an infection that the AV software can't handle completely at the moment, either connected to the Adobe software you mentioned and files that it processes, or, it somehow gets damaged in the cleanup process.

What is that you see at these different web sites ("asked to upgrade / download the latest version")? Are they asking you to download Flash Player? And above all, what does AVG tell you? And finally have you scanned the computer with some other anti-malware software?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

Sorry I never replied to this. As it turns out the issue went away on its' own. It was Adobe Reader in case anyone else comes across something similar.
Who will you Inspire today?