Safe web site?

jmt356
SilverLounger

Safe web site?

Post by jmt356 »

Can anyone figure out where http://ebookee.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is operating from? I am trying to figure out if it is a safe web site. According to McAfee and Symantec, it is. However, I read on another site that it is a scam.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Safe web site?

Post by HansV »

According to ebookee.org | WOT Reputation Scorecard | WOT (Web of Trust), their server is in The Netherlands. Their reputation is OK, but the scorecard contains one warning. I have no idea how accurate that is.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Adding to what Hans said, although the server is in The Netherlands, the URL is registered out of China:
    • Domain ID:D148806927-LROR
      Domain Name:EBOOKEE.ORG
      Created On:06-Aug-2007 15:52:02 UTC
      Registrant ID:DI_14127745
      Registrant Name:Zhang Qiang
      Registrant Street1:1102 Qicaihuayuan
      Registrant Street2:Nongda South Road
      Registrant City:Haidian
      Registrant State/Province:Beijing
But, confirming Hans' comments, if you visit the site, you clearly get the "green circle" WOT symbol for a safe site.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

jmt356 wrote:Can anyone figure out where http://ebookee.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is operating from? I am trying to figure out if it is a safe web site. [...]
It's not the type of site I would use, but I don't know about other people, and have not looked closer at it.

Compare a search for ebookee.com at WOT (same reverse Whois):
http://www.mywot.com/sv/scorecard/ebookee.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, I don't use the WOT site that much; it's OK to get a quick view about a site, and it also has links to some domain/whois tools etc. at another site. Since used by me, now, and other here, I'll add some comments about that one.

As for whois, I don't think there is one look-'em-all-up-tool, even if I guess that some think there is. There is definitely nothing wrong with domaintools.com, it's one of the most useful out there in my mind. But since the early 90's I've been using RIPE for Europe, Middle East etc.; APNIC for Asia etc. and ARIN for North America (or a tool based there, as the above); that is, the Regional Internet Registries. There are two more since 5 in total, but I rarely stumble on anything interesting in those regions.

For example, if one use the WOT site (but of course not necessary, one could go directly to some other whois tool) as above, and then click on to domaintools.com (via the whois link) and click "Server Stats" and then on the IP address, one will notice this, and no surprise since that particular IP address is in the Netherlands:

"These addresses have been further assigned to users in the RIPE NCC region."

And it also only gives a range: XX.0.0.0 - XX.255.255.255. Looking at the Regional Internet Registries they often have a more detailed view, but many times it's the same info.

As for WOT and this kind of use; I don't know but since anyone can add their comments about a site at WOT, I don't trust it that much. Someone might say that other then can add their comments and then change the "verdict". Well, one can't always wait until someone chimes in ... then it may be too late.

I mentioned .com above; it seems like it's gone down in page ranks and .org has gone up. I don’t know what’s going on there.

I think they, .org etc., have been on another IP before, 111.67... in China, or still is or something. I find contradicting information, and I have not looked closer at this. But as Al said, it's registered there.

I think the above mentioned site, .org, has been linked to from another, ebookee.net, or that there has been links between them, and that one, .net, is on the same Dutch IP range, 95.211... The word "warez" was in the address... for the .net site. Doesn't look good, does it? So if anyone would like to compare the "WOTs" here is the last one:
http://www.mywot.com/sv/scorecard/ebookee.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bigaldoc wrote:But, confirming Hans' comments, if you visit the site, you clearly get the "green circle" WOT symbol for a safe site.
If using some WOT plugin I assume? But then that is no surprise since it's still a "green circle" over at the WOT site for that address; the only difference is that you have now visited the site.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Ebookee.org has good ratings on the WOT Reputation Scorecard; Ebookee.com has many complaints of computer security threats and pop-ups; Ebookee.net has the lowest rating and no relevant comments. All three appear to be the same company, with Ebook.net’s homepage being in Chinese.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Bigaldoc wrote:Adding to what Hans said, although the server is in The Netherlands, the URL is registered out of China:
    • Domain ID:D148806927-LROR
      Domain Name:EBOOKEE.ORG
      Created On:06-Aug-2007 15:52:02 UTC
      Registrant ID:DI_14127745
      Registrant Name:Zhang Qiang
      Registrant Street1:1102 Qicaihuayuan
      Registrant Street2:Nongda South Road
      Registrant City:Haidian
      Registrant State/Province:Beijing
How do you check the URL registration of Web Sites?
Regards,

JMT

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Leif

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Whois.net is telling me:

"The IP address from which you have visited the Network Solutions Registrar WHOIS
database is contained within a list of IP addresses that may have failed
to abide by Network Solutions' WHOIS policy. Failure to abide by this policy can
adversely impact our systems and servers, preventing the processing of
other WHOIS requests."

Oh well, maybe it will work when I visit a Western country.
Regards,

JMT