Secunia PSI 3.0 Auto Updates

RonH
SilverLounger

Secunia PSI 3.0 Auto Updates

Post by RonH »

I stuck with version 2 but it may be time to update to their latest 3 to cut down needed effort on the many programme security updates and let Secunia 'take care of it'.
Is anyone successfully using this approach?
Thanks Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Secunia PSI 3.0 Auto Updates

Post by HansV »

I do use Secunia PSI 3, but with auto-updating turned off. I run it once a week and if it tells me a program needs to be updated, I decide for myself if I want to do so and when.

But for many, if not most, computer users, the auto-update feature will be very convenient.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans ... then I will stick to version 2 for the present time, I like its user interface.
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

I also use Secunia 3 and wish I had stayed with version 2 but I'm managing with it as I also use Filehippo Updater portable.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

running Windows 7 (HP) x64

Having read this thread yesterday I decided that I'd download Secunia PSI 3.0 - and set its parameters as per Han's suggestion. All seemed well until I opened the program this morning when it advised me that there were five XML undates necessary (see fig1). However, when I click to update any of them Microsoft tells me my updates are current! Any ideas as to what is going on - and, probably as importantly, do I really need XML? When I check my 'Programs and Features' it says I have MSXML 4.0 SP2 twice (each with a different KB) and MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser.
I'm a bit baffled!
SMXML.GIF
MSXML1.GIF
Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Keith

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It could be that the XML updates are classed by Windows Update as 'important', so are not automatically applied.

Ken

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Well spotted! I went into Windows Update and discovered that the box for important updates wasn't ticked! Once I'd done that Windows Update offered me a security update for XML SP4. Downloaded it and then checked Secunia PSI - it now says everything is up to date!

:clapping: Thank you Ken!
Regards,
Keith

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Ken's smart ... he must be since he keeps banging his head on his desk :grin: :laugh:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

RonH wrote:Ken's smart
:blush: If only!