Thunderbird not receiving emails from GMail?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Thunderbird not receiving emails from GMail?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

This morning I am missing a few emails in Thunderbird 115.9.0(64 bit).

Especially if you have a GMail account and use Thunderbird on your laptop, my experience might interest you.
The attached image is a screenshot from my smart phone.

(1) Email sent by me from my smart phone last night, GMail to GMail, has not appeared in my Inbox. I daily use GMail to send myself reminders, knowing that I will see them in Thunderbird first thing in the morning when I turn on my laptop. (hah!)
(2) I did a password reset on my laptop for Eileen’s Lounge. This email reached me directly on my laptop
(3) This notification reached me directly on my laptop.
(4) This email from a Special Interest group (SIG) did not reach my laptop. I have been receiving all emails from this SIG for about four months now. This reached my smart phone (GMail) but not my laptop (Thunderbird from GMail)
(5) My son David; we communicate often enough. His is an @fastmail account (in South Australia) and mine is GMail in Canada, but I always send and receive in Thunderbird. This email from him was not visible on my smart phone last night, but was visible on my smart phone this morning, but yet NOT in Thunderbird.
(6) My friend (from 1997) in British Columbia, we are both GMail users. This email was visible on my smart phone the past two nights. Last night I realized that I hadn’t seen it on my laptop, so I forwarded it to myself via smartphone/gmail last night, and my forwarded message (from me to myself) still has not shown up on my laptop.

I know that this must be unreadable/incomprehensible to you all, as it is to me. I am still trying to work out where these emails might be.
They are NOT in my Thunderbird Junk folder.
They are NOT in my Thunderbird trash folder (yes, I can sometimes tap “delete” and have the wrong email selected)
They do NOT appear when in Thunderbird I search my email account using their email addresses.
They do NOT appear in the Gmail Spam folder when accessed via my laptop.

My contingency efforts are to check my GMail account on my smart phone and to take screenshots of the email text, and then transfer the images to the laptop.

Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Thunderbird not receiving emails from GMail?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 11:45
This morning I am missing a few emails in Thunderbird 115.9.0(64 bit).
Over the past week, in the Online GMAIL portal,
(1) I have deleted all Inbox messages more than 12 months old in bulk,
(2) I have deleted all Inbox messages manually until I have messages only from March 9 onwards
Untitled.png
(3) I note that GMail claims that I still have 1,441 messages in my Inbox; either I have somehow missed messages to be deleted in my Inbox or GMail has a bug?
(4) I have checked through the Thunderbird downloads page, which tells me that I am all up to date with 115.9.0(64bit)

Emails are arriving from SOME other sources, typically Google Digests. But emails that I send to myself from the Android phone sit in GMail Inbox and are NOT downloaded by Thunderbird, and emails from my personal correspondents are NOT downloaded from GMail.

I believe that the time has come for me to post a question in the Thunderbird forums and attack the problem from the other end.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

This is my TB/Gmail setting using POP3
-
TM.png
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Ted Myers wrote:
14 Apr 2024, 23:24
This is my TB/Gmail setting using POP3
Thanks Ted.
Your screenshot looks like nothing that I can find under "Tools, Settings" and "Tools, Account Settings"
Untitled.png
This is what I see under Tools, Account Settings, and I have just scrolled through the top level here.

(1) What version of TBird did you use to obtain your screenshot?
(2) Are you running this version under Windows?

I should add that this morning I see 6 new messages in my TBird Inbox; haven't see n that in at least two weeks, and three of those emails were sent from my phone
To the best of my knowledge the only action I have taken is to remove scads of Emails from the online GMail account (via the Firefox browser)

Thanks, Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ted's screenshot is from Gmail, not Thunderbird.
In Gmail, click Settings > All Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 11:19
Ted's screenshot is from Gmail, not Thunderbird.
In Gmail, click Settings > All Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
Thanks Hans! Is it time for me to hand in my membership card? :brickwall: :bash: :rtfm: :grin: :grin:
Untitled.png
@TedMyers
OK; so it seems that Forwarding has been disabled, but I can't remember doing it (see "membership card" above). In particular I can't remember, in the past four weeks, coming in to this area at all; i tend to play about in Thunderbird rather than GMail.

I suspect that I should check ON "Forward a copy of incoming mail to". Is that the consensus?

This raises a further question:
Untitled2.png
With my current GMail settings, how is it that six emails DID get themselves forwarded when I opened TBird an hour ago?

I shall await advice until I change my settings in GMail.
Thanks immensely; Chris

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

As has already been stated by Hans, my image is from Gmail with POP enabled etc.
-
This is my version of TB on a Win 11 Home laptop.
-
TM1.png
-
P.S. your image shows your email address twice.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 11:13
To the best of my knowledge the only action I have taken is to remove scads of Emails from the online GMail account (via the Firefox browser)
Things appear, he said cautiously, to be back to normal. I have spent several sessions deleting emails from GMail via my smartphone and via the laptop.
Today, emails arrive in Thunderbird as soon as they appear in GMail, which is how it used to be.

I don't ***know*** that it was an overburdened GMail storage that triggered the problems, but I seem to have broken the log jam.

How did I accumulate so many emails in my GMail account?
I suspect that back in the year twenty-numble-mumble, when I installed Thunderbird on a laptop, I was worried that I would delete an important email, so set switches in both GMail and Thunderbird to save every copy of every email "just in case".

Cheers, Chris