Thunderbird 115 Supernova

RonH
SilverLounger

Thunderbird 115 Supernova

Post by RonH »

Hei Paul,
Extracted your below text from another thread and am wondering if you have any further comment. i have just upgraded to 115 and it looks very much the same ... though it picked up some Gmails in All Mail that I had deleted a while back!
Any special tweaks you recommend.
Cheers
Ron

I have been using Thunderbird 115 Supernova with great success since the end of July. It just required a few minor tweaks after installing it over TB 102. Nice new look.

Regards,
Paul
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

Post by PaulB »

Hi, Ron. Like I said earlier, the changes I have noticed are relatively minor and cosmetic. Apart from customizing some of the toolbars for purely personal reasons, the transition to Supernova was simply plug-and-play. I have experienced no surprises or whoopsies. Of course, YMMV!

I do not use Gmail so I cannot comment on your issue.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Paul.
Like you, I also just made a few tweaks to simplify the email listing's. I'm unsure if any other Eileen members have yet made the upgrade ... there are no other T'bird 115 posts as far as I can determine.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Curiosity got the better of me. I installed 115 after reading this thread. The only significant difference I see is that the filter that used to appear allowing the user to choose what messages to display is gone. (At least, I can't find it.)

I set up several custom views that allowed me to choose to display 3, 5, 10, or 30 days of email. Can that be done in 115?

Sorry for wasting bandwidth. I found my View button and it brought over my custom views.
TB SN 1 2023-09-01_15h16_46.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Good one, Bob.
I was about to comment that I couldn't imagine T'bird upgrade would be a downgrade for many. I have set 105 to much the same as prior release but removing such as 'stars, priorities etc' to have a simple mail list display. Don't need all the bells and whistles as a long term retiree :laugh:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Question about text sizing ...
Both my view and send text is rather large even though I have set it at a Calibri 12 font in the Settings. How do I reduce visible size :scratch:

These
Screenshot 2023-09-02 144650.jpg
have no effect
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I'm starting the 2nd week of a 3 week Mediterranean cruise using Apple mail on my phone and tablet. When I return home I will check ThunderBird to see if I am experiencing the same issue you describe.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

PaulB wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 13:01
I'm starting the 2nd week of a 3 week Mediterranean cruise . . .
. . . said Paul, to make us all green with envy. :grin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Paul ... for cheering me up stuck at home :sad:
But enjoy and happy cruising
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

RonH wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 16:34
...stuck at home :sad:
I've been stuck at home since I retired :groan: but I'm not sad, retirement beats working any day :joy:

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

stuck wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 17:33
RonH wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 16:34
...stuck at home :sad:
I've been stuck at home since I retired :groan: but I'm not sad, retirement beats working any day :joy:

Ken
Have to agree Ken, great institution watching the young pay for our pensions :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

My issue of text sizing now resolved with the assistance of Thunderbird expert. It was a problem in my Settings.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hi Ron.
Here's another vagary I found in Supernova. In the old TB, as in Firefox, the menu row occurs at the very top of the screen, but in Supernova it is the second row which I find a bit disconcerting. I have found no way to change it, yet.
tb 1 2023-09-12_13h29_04.png
Do you have a fix for this?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can install the Menu on Top add-on, or if you prefer living dangerously, apply the necessary modifications yourself - see [Tip] How to Move Menu Bar at Top in Mozilla Thunderbird.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Bob,
This is my set up which I prefer.
Tbird layout.jpg
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Updated today to the latest version of Supernova 115.2.3. It added two new Local Folders, both Bin and neither added by me :scratch:
I deleted ... without additional issues it seems.

It raises the question of just how well tested and stable is this new release ...
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just found out that I also did not receive some incoming emails which must have occurred during the upgrade.
Maybe others also have this experience.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Found this article ... seems that my experiences are shared. I concur that a Lite version would be very useful for those who require simple email handling with Local Storage Folders.

https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussi ... 075#M14021
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

SOLVED
Using Windows 11, I need to view Address Book in full screen mode which then shows EDIT possibilities at the rhs ... hidden when not showing T'bird in wide screen.

Found another issue ...
I cannot add/delete/edit a contact in the Address Book. When accessing to edit the contact is then greyed out. I have made enquires at T'bird.

Tools/Address Book/Edit also fails

Any others with this problem :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

Editing/adding/deleting a contact works as it should for me, whether in a window or full screen mode. Tools/Address Book/Edit also works properly.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions