Thunderbird Local Folders

RonH
SilverLounger

Thunderbird Local Folders

Post by RonH »

Found answer ... I think.
Drag Drop seems OK providing there is not an All Mail folder eg gmail in which case the email must be deleted from this folder if you don't want it kept on the server.

When I use T'bird Local Folders I copy the incoming mail to a T'bird folder and then delete the original. I do not retain mails at server other than what is currently active. Also I do not use threaded conversation which links all mails with the same heading ... whatever sender.

My lady uses T'bird but keeps using drag and drop for incoming mail to a T'bird Local Folder ... which is logical thinking. But I think this has issues :scratch: I seem to recall some earlier comment about best practice being 'copy' rather than 'drag drop' and would appreciate advice. Perhaps this related to email provider eg Gmail, Outlook or other...
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Re: Thunderbird Local Folders

Post by aekyall »

Ron - You may be right about 'copy' rather than drag and drop, but for what it's worth I have been using drag and drop for about 10+ years now and I have upward of 30 folders and additional sub-folders. Never had any issues - so far!!
Keith
Regards,
Keith

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

I've had the same experience as Keith. Drag and Drop is all I use and I've never had a problem.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for info.
Certainly, drag & drop is logical and much easier.
:thankyou:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just to add that Gmail, with its All Mail folder where the mail is actually kept ...

If you drag/drop from Inbox to a T'bird Local Folder the mail is still retained in All Mail although it does not now appear in the Inbox. If you do not wish to retain the All Mail on server then it must be deleted. I have seen many queries:
'Why do I see so many more emails in my All Mail folder when eg there are only a few in my Inbox or Send folder?'
I think this is correct ... and it is why I use Copy to Local Folder and then delete from Inbox.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Ron - My server is also Gmail. When I run Thunderbird it automatically 'fetches' mail from my server and copies it to my Thunderbird IN box, from where I either assign it to a relevant Thunderbird folder (drag and drop) or just read and bin it. These actions do not remove the mail from the Gmail server, nor impact on it in any way. Everything stays on the Gmail server IN box until I do something with it. Assume this is how your set up works?
Regards,
Keith

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

If I get an important email in TBird, I click the 'More' Box and click Save as (.EML) I then store it in a safe place and can re read it at anytime. I use Windows Mail+Calendar app to open it.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Keith,
Yes, exactly the same with my Gmail. I find it easier to copy an inbox mail to a T'bird folder rather than drag/drop and then delete the mail at inbox ... otherwise I would need to delete it in the other All Mail box. As a very senior, I do not need copious mail's at the server ... hence why I delete after copying to some local folder in T'bird or a Windows file.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Ted Myers wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 13:59
If I get an important email in TBird, I click the 'More' Box and click Save as (.EML) I then store it in a safe place and can re read it at anytime. I use Windows Mail+Calendar app to open it.
If I want to save a T'bird mail in Windows I Just drag it (copying it) to a Windows folder. Never tried the 'More' which is probably better since the mail can be read easily as .eml. Thanks for this tip.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Just looked at my saved .eml list. Largest is only 46KB

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just checked ... whether I use More/Save As or just drag to a Windows Folder the result seems to be the same eg .eml format ... unless I am missing something? I still have some 'grey matter' :laugh: I think!
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

If you have any to spare I'm free.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Grey matter is like gold dust ... one has to take care that it does not blow away in the wind :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

I have finally got my 2 laptops using 2 Gmail accounts in TB. If I get an email sent to either, it shows in TB inbox but shows in my Chrome Browser in Gmail's All Mail folder.