Fastmail and Thunderbird

BobH
UraniumLounger

Fastmail and Thunderbird

Post by BobH »

I use Thunderbird as my email client. I want to continue to do so. I want to use Fastmail to set up email addresses that are independent of my ISP to facilitate future ISP changes. I do NOT want to use Fastmail to read email.

To do this it is my understanding that I would have to have email addresses using the Fastmail domain (@fastmail.com) set up somehow in Thunderbird. I can set up my main Fastmail account email address in Thunderbird but cannot set up any others.

So far I have been unsuccessful in resolving this with Fastmail. Their support is in Australia and appears to work during business hours making turnaround for questions and responses a 24 hour process.

If anyone can tell me a) that what I want to do is not possible, or b) how to do it if it is not, I'd be very grateful for the information.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Fastmail and Thunderbird

Post by StuartR »

I am trying to understand your problem, but I am confused by " I can set up my main Fastmail account email address in Thunderbird but cannot set up any others." How many different Fastmail accounts do you have?
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I'm guessing Bob means he has one Fastmail account, which has a main email address but he's also created various aliases and wants mail to those aliases to go to separate TB Inboxes.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

stuck wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:28
I'm guessing Bob means he has one Fastmail account, which has a main email address but he's also created various aliases and wants mail to those aliases to go to separate TB Inboxes.
Fastmail has a feature called "Masked Email addresses" which let you create unlimited numbers of email addresses. It's intended for providing a different email address to every web site you interact with so you can cancel any of them when you want to. The default behaviour is for all email to end up in the same inbox, but you can create rules that let you move masked emails elsewhere. See Masked Email
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

So you can create a rule like this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Stuart.

I'm still in my 30-day trial period. I will probably use those features at some point in the future. For now, I'm using Fastmail domain email addresses and managing messages in Thunderbird.

I got my issues sorted. I fer it was an operator head space problem. :hairout:

I have my fastmail domain addresses set as folders in my Fastmail Account/User that I set up in Thunderbird with filter rules that place mail to those addresses in the appropriate folders. This will work for now until I can learn more about how to use the tool more effectively.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs