Mobile agenda?

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Mobile agenda?

Post by ErikJan »

I've been using Outlook on my PC @ home for many years now. Never used the agenda however as for that I used Outlook @ work (and labeled my personal entries as "personal and private"). That worked fine and in Outlook on my Android I could use my calendar for work and for home.
Now I'm switching away from work and I thought it would be easy to uninstall Outlook on Android and remove my work account and then re-install and add my private MS Account. But there's no agenda that is filling with what I see in the agenda on my Windows PC...!!!???
I'm using MS365 so I was thinking that my agenda would sync and follow me also on Android. What am I missing here?

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Mobile agenda?

Post by StuartR »

What is "the agenda", is it a specific calendar view, or something different?
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Agenda is a Dutch word for calendar.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I use Outlook on a PC and all calendar entries are stored in a local PST file. These are not visible on any other device. I use an Outlok add-on called gSyncit to synchronise this calendar with a Google calendar which allows my Android devices to see (and modify or add) appointments.

gSyncit is not free, but it works very well and I think it was good value.
StuartR

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Sorry for the mixup and thanks Hans.. yes, I mean the calendar of course... ;-)

I know the Outlook App can also sync but I'd like to use the calendar in the Outlook App itself (as I always did before, but I guess MS Exchange made that happen)... it does exist.

And yes, you are right of course: calendar info is local in the PST. With MS putting everything in the cloud, isn't that weird?

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

I've been Googling a bit and find this too (both free I think):
https://www.outlookgooglecalendarsync.com/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/outloo ... chronizer/

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I have an Office subscription using Microsoft accounts for four different work and personal accounts. On my Android phone, In Outlook I use one work and one personal account which are among those I mentioned. I never have an issue with syncing. My calendars sync perfectly between any device I use with one of those accounts. I use the calendar in Outlook. BTW, my Outlook data files are all OST files on my PC.
Joe

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Looks like the fact that most of my email accounts are configured as POP3 and not IMAP could be causing that... Could that be the case and would my local calendar start to sync to my Android if I'd change the account that 'hosts' the calendar to IMAP?

If the above would be the case, I'd have another small 'problem' as the weird thing is that the calendar seems to be 'connected' to a PST file that hosts my Inbox. I made all my email accounts 'use' that same Inbox PST (so everything is received in that Inbox). Therefore what I don't know now is WHICH account really 'owns' the calendar... (as that will be the account that I should then convert to IMAP). Is there a way to see / check that?

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If the calendar is in a PST file then it isn't 'owned" by one of your email accounts
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

My accounts are not IMAP. They are all Exchange accounts. I have each account set to download all past e-mails. I also have the calendar apps on the PC and phone configured to access my primary personal account. All my calendars in and out of Outlook appear to sync correctly all the time. However, I seldom reference individual calendar apps as I too prefer to use the calendar in Outlook. I've even been experimenting with the new Outlook app to replace the built-in Mail and Calendar app. I have all accounts set up in the new Outlook and they all seem to be fine including the calendars.
Joe

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

StuartR wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 14:23
If the calendar is in a PST file then it isn't 'owned" by one of your email accounts
OK. So the Inbox that receives emails from all my email accounts is a PST. My Calendar is in there and hence (I think I understand), it's local only.
What do I do to create a calendar that can also be used on my Android device then?

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

JoeP wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 17:56
My accounts are not IMAP. They are all Exchange accounts. I have each account set to download all past e-mails. I also have the calendar apps on the PC and phone configured to access my primary personal account. All my calendars in and out of Outlook appear to sync correctly all the time. However, I seldom reference individual calendar apps as I too prefer to use the calendar in Outlook. I've even been experimenting with the new Outlook app to replace the built-in Mail and Calendar app. I have all accounts set up in the new Outlook and they all seem to be fine including the calendars.
I don't have Exchange accounts but I want the same: Outlook on my Windows PC and the Outlook App on Android. And in both I want to see my emails and my (one, synchronized) calendar.
Seems to me my request should be the simplest and default, yet I fail to see what I need to do now to 'make that happen'

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You could create a new Outlook profile using the Mail control panel applet and then set up your Microsoft account from scratch in the new profile. If you just enter your e-mail address Outlook should autodiscover the account and default to an Exchange account with an OST file. Once it is set up and you verify it is an Exchange account you can open the PST file as an Outlook data file. Then you can drag and drop whatever is there you want to save in the new setup. After you are satisfied everything is OK, you can delete the old profile. You could delete the PST file too or save it as a backup. Android Outlook should automatically sync with the new setup.
Joe

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

OK, but all my other email accounts are setup as POP3 and their new emails are delivered in that one PST file. As an OST is a copy of what is on the server, I can't have new emails for other accounts delivered there...
What I can do (I guess) is create the account as extra to have it provide the calendar only and leave the rest alone. Then the remaining question is (and still): how do I see which account (PST) is hosting the (non-used empty) calendar now and how to I switch that calendar to the new OST hosted (online) one?

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I guess I need a better idea of your setup. At work, do you have just one e-mail account set up in Outlook? Is it a Microsoft account? Is your work account set up in your home Outlook? At home, you have multiple e-mail accounts. Are there any other than your private Microsoft account that are Microsoft accounts?

In Outlook on the PC when you view the Calendar in the left navigation pane beneath the month there is a list of calendars. You can tell which is being displayed there. You can check and uncheck any to see where the data resides. You can also have more than one displayed and drag and drop between them.
Joe

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

OK, forget about the work part. That is gone (the only relevance here is that in the past I kept my personal calendar there as well).

At home, and AFAIK, no accounts are MS accounts (one is GMail and there are some others). They all deliver their emails in one InBox.
In my local Calendar view, under "My Calendars" is see only one Calendar named "Calendar". If I go to properties, it's 'connected' to the PST that also hosts the Inbox. Thanks for leading me through this here, it's beginning to become more clear now. Next I'll create the MS account and will use that only to have an agenda that I can also use on my Android device (in Outlook; plus -if that works- I'll add all my non MS emails there as well).
I'll update here when I've done that (or earlier if I run into problems).

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If your calendar is in a PST file then it is NOT associated with a POP3 email account, it is simply hosted locally on your computer.
StuartR

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Can I turn a non-MS email account from POP3 >> IMAP and will that then allow me to use a calendar that is available outside my local system?
There's an issue that -I think- doesn't let me use my MS account.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You may be able to, if the hosting organization provides IMAP support.
StuartR

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

I got it to work. Thanks for all the suggestions :-)