Changing Password

RonH
SilverLounger

Changing Password

Post by RonH »

I use a @outlook.com account, primarily to enable use of Skype and to support my Windows 10 sign-ins/Windows forums etc. I do not use it for general correspondence, preferring gmail.

It seems that my outlook.com has been hacked with an email being circulated using my @ outlook.com address but with a different signature ... so I guess that I should change my password. According to what I have read ...

https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 31dfb298eb

... I can effect the change using Settings in W10.

My question: Have others made W10 security changes this way without creating pc access issues afterwards or is it best to go direct to the web account? Other issues I need to consider might be Skype ... since it is now Microsoft. Perhaps there are other 'sign-ins' that members might suggest I check?
Why do folk get 'pleasure' from such actions ... grrr
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Changing Password

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, your Windows 10 account is synchronized with the webmail account, so if you change the password in one of those, it automatically applies to the other too. The same goes for your Skype account, if you use your @outlook.com account for that.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for confirmation Hans. I will give it a go and report here if I run into problems.
All the best for 2018
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

RonH wrote:I use a @outlook.com account, primarily to enable use of Skype and to support my Windows 10 sign-ins/Windows forums etc. I do not use it for general correspondence, preferring gmail.

It seems that my outlook.com has been hacked with an email being circulated using my @ outlook.com address but with a different signature ... so I guess that I should change my password. According to what I have read ...
Like Ron I use an @outlook.com account but not for general correspondence. I received two emails (different dates) from my outlook account and was wondering if someone can spoof the email account; have it display your @outlook.com account but not really send it from your account. I logged into my account and reviewed the sent messages but did not find any messages being sent during the day/time period in question.
Regards,
John

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Have a read at the following and it will open your eyes
https://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/d ... l-spoofing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jason-p- ... 77672.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-email-spoofing-2483501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hello John,

Even though I did change my password to something quite complex, I had today another 'apparent' send from my account. It was not delivered and returned ... unfortunately I blocked and deleted it before I noted all the details. Seemingly it was to an address in Germany.

I would be interested to know if others in our forum experience some kind of hacking using Outlook.com though a quick Search hasn't highlighted anything.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Interesting reading Dave.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I used to get dozens of these every day, but it has gone much quieter now. Typically what happens is that they discover your email address, often by getting someone else's address book. They then send emails with your email address as a spoofed sender name. The protocol used for sending email (SMTP) is known to be highly insecure, and you can't trust anything you receive by email. Sometimes you can view the full email headers to see where the email originated, but these can be hacked too.
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Stuart.

Whilst seemingly not a 'hack' of an email account and gaining access to ones mailings, it is a real pain. I was getting a lot but, like you, now much reduced.

What I find interesting is that to the best of my knowledge I have not used this account on other than Microsoft forums or to send an occasional mail to one of my other accounts. However I do have a POP3 local account where the xxxx@ is the same as my outlook.com ... I guess that this is likely to be the entry point since this email service provider has had hacks in the past. My POP3 email address was also breached in both Adobe and Avast back in 2013/4 ... as were many others.

Maybe I should open and use another email address with outlook.com but it is so associated with Microsoft activity, the pc, forums, Skype etc. Tread water me thinks to see what occurs.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Maybe I should open and use another email address with outlook.com but it is so associated with Microsoft activity, the pc, forums, Skype etc. Tread water me thinks to see what occurs.
Don't waste your time, by the time you notify every one about the new email address it just may get used in spoofing.
Just wait around and it will stop sooner than later.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Dave,

Thanks for the links!
Regards,
John