MS Outlook 2007 - Create a Mailing Group

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

MS Outlook 2007 - Create a Mailing Group

Post by MalcolmWalker »

In MS Outlook 2007 I created a mailing group, `Visitors', with 186 names and email addresses guided by MS Article ID: 287563. The group was populated by importing from a CSV file.
When I open a `New Mail Message' and click `To:' the `Select Names: Contacts' dialogue opens and in the Address Book drop down I select Visitors; no details are displayed. When I open the `Visitors' folder in `My Contacts' the names and email Addresses are displayed. Looking at the `Visitors Properties' under the `Outlook Address Book' tab there is a tick in the box `Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book'.

I have followed and rechecked the guidance article, deleted and started again and searched to no avail. I wonder if an Outlook user can advise me on how to have the contents of my Visitors folder displayed. I have also had all this done on another computer also with Outlook 2007 with a similar outcome.

HansV
Administrator

Re: MS Outlook 2007 - Create a Mailing Group

Post by HansV »

Strange. It sounds like you have done everything correctly. Could you post a few screenshots? Thanks in advance.
Best wishes,
Hans

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Are the screen captures attached relevant or could there be other captures that might be of more use?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's very useful, thanks!

Your third screenshot shows a contact in the Contacts folder. Could you post a similar screenshot of a contact in the Visitors folder? You can mask personal details if necessary.
Best wishes,
Hans

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Hans, This is the capture you requested. It is not the original `Visitors' folder but a new folder created and populated, albeit with one member, in the same way as the original folder.
I have checked and there is still nothing displayed in the `Select Names: Contacts' dialogue.

Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In the contact in your Contacts folder, the e-mail address is listed immediately below the telephone number.
This is also the case for all of my Outlook contacts for whom I have entered both a phone number and an e-mail address.
In your contact in the Visitors folder, however, there is a blank line between the phone number and e-mail address. I wonder what causes this.
Where has the e-mail address for this contact been entered? (You can double-click the contact to see its full window)
Best wishes,
Hans

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Well spotted - it's a mapping error. I had mapped email_address to E-mail and not to E-mail Address which isn't seen until the + box is clicked!
Now the `Select Names: Contacts' dialogue works AOK.

Many thanks for your astute assistance in resolving this issue,

Malcolm

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thank you for providing the helpful screenshots - without those it'd have been impossible to find the cause.
Best wishes,
Hans