Outlook Contacts - Index

Sgte
2StarLounger

Outlook Contacts - Index

Post by Sgte »

We have 2 Pc's running W7P and Outlook 2010. Our Contacts are synchronised on a weekday basis. On Pc1, in Contacts, typing "ran" will jump to a contact whose surname is "Ranger" and typing "elm" will jump to a contact called Elms.
Doing the above on Pc2 doe not show either of those contacts; the only way to find them is by using the Search all contact box. Please does anyone know of what the settings are that are causing this apparently errant behavior?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook Contacts - Index

Post by HansV »

How are contacts viewed on these PCs? Business Card, Card, Phone, List?
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

They appear to be business cards - please see attached screen shot - with the File As set to Lastname, Firstname
001_contacts.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HansV on 23 May 2012, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to mask personal details in screenshot

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does typing Shift+letter jump to the first contact beginning with that letter?
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Yes it does Hans.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I can't explain why simply typing doesn't work in business card view (it should!), and if I find a solution I'll post it here, but in the meantime you can use typing Shift+letter(s) as a workaround.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Thanks Hans,
However I still cannot display my contact, Elms, Ranger or Todd - witout using the search!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you mean that typing R or RAN while holding down the Shift key won't select Ranger? Or that it does select Ranger but doesn't open the contact in a separate window? On my PC (Outlook 2010, Windows 7), typing only selects the contact in the Outlook window; I can then press Enter to open the contact.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Thanks Hans,
1 Typing Shift+R = takes me to the beginning of R's
2 Typing Shift+RAN = take me to the beginning of R
3 Typing RAN or ELM = no contacts found - but they do exist when using Search and typing in RAN or Elm!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If I want to type multiple letters, I have to do so reasonably quickly - if I type RAN, I get the first contact starting with RAN, but if I pause too long between the letters, I'll select the first contact starting with R, then the first contact starting with A, and finally the first contact starting with N.

(Just a wild guess: has Windows Search been turned off on the PC where you can't type to search? Check Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on and off)
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Of course Hans - I used to be able to type [rapidly] the first 3 letters of a surname and usually end at or very mear to the one I'm seeking.
I have turned OFF windows search - re-started the Pc2 = I type in Elm or Ran and those contact5s do not show.
I have turned ON windows search - re-started the Pc2 = I type in Elm or Ran and those contact5s do not show, but they ARE found using search..... Ggrrrr.... what's going (wr)on(g)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I don't know what causes this - I'm not aware of any option that would disable the ability to locate contacts by typing the first few letters in Business Card view.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Ah well Hans,
Thank you for trying. I may well delete all of my contacts, import them from Pc1 and see what happens!

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Hi again Hans,
Letting you know that I "solved the problem". Before deleting all Contacts I looked at Pc1 and saw that in the bottom left hand corner of Outlook was shown 1492 contacts, reviewing the same window on Pc2 showed "Filtered"!!!! Cleared the filter, voila, all contacts showing = I am a dork for not noticing that. Thank you very much for your kind help and next time I'll pose a real question.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm glad you found the cause of the problem. Thanks for the update!
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Hi again,
"All" 1493 Contacts are supposed to be showing - there are NO Filters applied and the view is Business Crd. However some of the Contacts remain hidden until "Search all contact items" is used to find them. Can anyone shed any light on this at all please?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Could some of them be in subfolders?
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Hi Hans and thanks for your response. The are no sub-folders that I am aware of or can see.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Have you looked in Suggested Contacts?
x1129.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Hi Hans, believe it or not I have never looked in that folder. There are 207 items in it! However none of them have more detail than a name plus an e-mail address. Interestingly I can't see why they have been generated - they are a mixture of e-mail suffixes. So taking, just, one example, my wife is not shing in Contacts until a Search for her. On the same vein neither is she synchronised to my mobile phone either. So there IS something or switch in Contacts preventing the viewing of a number of contacts