Calendar Conflict

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Calendar Conflict

Post by Bigaldoc »

I run Outlook 2010 CALENDAR, also using it for contacts, and memos. I do NOT use Outlook email.

Because I'm old and need all the memory help I can get, I have a number of monthly recurring "appointments" on my calendar to remind me to pay certain bills on a specific day each month. I use a green color coding so they stand out on my calendar.

Some of those notations show up with some kind of calendar "conflict" and I'd like to know if there is some way I can override that notation or make it go away. All of these entries are "all day events" without specific times attached.

What's so strange is that it only appears on some entries and others do not have this "conflict" message. It's of concern to me also because these conflicting entries DO NOT for some reason get synched to my Android handheld. I plan to write their support folks but before I do I thought I'd see if I could figure out WHY Outlook thinks they conflict and with what...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Calendar Conflict

Post by HansV »

If you set "Show As" for an appointment to "Free", as in the screenshot below, you won't get a message if it overlaps with another appointment.
x1092.png
If "Show As" is set to something else than "Free" (i.e. "Busy", "Tentative" or "Out of the Office") for two overlapping appointments, you will get such a message.

If you'd like to know what causes the conflict:
Activate Calendar (if necessary).
Activate the View tab of the ribbon.
Click Change View and select List.
Sort the appointments by Start.
Hopefully you'll be able to find out which appointments overlap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thank you as usual, Hans! It WAS "show as busy" that was causing the conflict message on each one where the problem existed.

What I haven't the foggiest idea of, since I have about 15 such entries on my monthly calendar, how I initially entered the thing with "show as busy" on some and not others. I've corrected each one and the conflict has gone away.

I suppose I'd be well served to check my other recurring entries like birthdays and such as well to make sure none of those also has this problem.

What was frustrating to me is that I checked Outlook Help before I made my post. It came up with a slew of entries for "calendar conflict," all of which led to web pages without the answer that you provided. And that included a few on Microsoft Answers. Ggggrrrr...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When you create a new appointment, it is "Busy" by default.
But when you create a new all day event, or change an ordinary appointment to an all day event, it is set to "Free".
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The conflict message can be ignored safely, it simply warns you about multiple appointments that are scheduled to occur at the same time.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, but Al mentioned that the conflicts prevent synchronizing these appointments with his smartphone...
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Yes Hans, and it's worse than I thought so I guess I'll have to be writing again to the Deja Office folks who supply the Android app.

I thought that the "appointments" that were NOT getting copied to my handheld were those with conflicts. I've fixed ALL of those and done another synch but a number of my Outlook calendar entries are STILL not appearing on the handheld. I even resorted to doing the synch with the instruction to "wipe" all calendar entries on the handheld, replacing them with those in Outlook, but that didn't help.

So, with appreciation for your guidance, I'm off now to the Deja Office support folks to see what they have to say about this. Thanks again...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Lordy, Lordy, I don't know how long it's gonna take me to learn how to use Outlook 2010 !!!

I now don't think it was the conflict problem at all. After a good night's sleep, I started digging and comparing entries again. All but two were not getting synched to the handheld.

To make a long story short, it seems that when I set up the series on all the others, the tick-box for "PRIVATE" was highlighted and I don't know why. It was not my intention to do so since I'm the only user of both the PC and the Android.

After changing all by turning OFF the private, my synch is now correct!!! Thanks to all for your tolerance...
2012-05-14_101554.png
PS: I suppose they may have already been ON the Android 'cause it DOES NOT show private entries unless you ASK it to, each time and that requires entering the self-set password on the Android.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

At least it's working again! Plus, you solved it yourself. :smile:
Best wishes,
Hans