Vivaldi Browser

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Vivaldi Browser

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Untitled.png
I have gotten rid of the annoying "update" nag popups in Fiurefox with the simple use of RevoInstaller and have switched to Vivaldi.
After two days in Vivaldi my biggest concern was finding the equivalent of "Open all in tabs", which speeds up my once-per-day scan of the universe out there.
I have joined https://forum.vivaldi.net where I found the answer to my question.

So far so good.
I am still using Chrome browser for programmed searches with Selenium.
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Vivaldi Browser

Post by ChrisGreaves »

A revered and respected correspondent sent me a link to a technical article, and as I am a cheap guy and hate work I am pasting my reply to him here, as well as in the email.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/vi ... rspective/

It seems like a week but is probably only three days going all-out Vivaldi. It took about as much getting-used-to as Firefox; the same as each time I get into a rental car: the gear-stick layout is different, and the door/window latches/buttons are different, but after that, plain sailing. Yes, around 2005-2010 I fumbled with ALL the motorized controls (external mirrors, internal mirror, etc) but turn-signals and washers remain the same.

Example: I was used to Firefox's "open all in tabs", and had arranged my toolbar menus accordingly. Vivaldi has no "open all in tabs", but instead I right-click ON the menu bar and then choose Open. Bingo! so I am happy.

To me this is rather liking buying Onions at NoFrills ($3.99/5 lbs) and Loblaws ($4.99/5lbs) or the convenience store ($5.99/5 lbs). The real savings come from cooking my own food. NoFrills is nice if I am there, but better the Convenience store than buying frozen entrees!

(a) The article is dated March 2019, some 30+ months ago. Vivaldi is on a frequent release cycle and some of the comments seem to be irrelevant. If I worked through them one by one I would possibly find 1/3 to 2/3 that have been rectified.

(b) Jack Wallen seems to be looking for a reason to migrate TO Vivaldi, and that is OK. I was looking for a reason to move away FROM Firefox (the incessant nag screens to update)

(c) Related to that, Firefox seems to have updated itself away from compatibility with the latest love-of-my-life “Selenium drivers”

(d) I think that Vivaldi is open-source nowadays. But open-source isn’t a major issue for me. It may well result in better code, whatever better means, but I have enough VBA on my plate without wandering into Python or C++.

(e) My very limited knowledge suggests that Vivaldi releases a “Stable” version every six weeks (for rabbits like me who hate change) and a “Snapshot” version as often as, and more frequently than “Stable”. The Snapshot version seems to be what I think of as true Beta - significantly use-at-your-own-risk, but gives you a chance to test-drive a new feature you’ve been waiting for, before that upgrade gets locked into Stable mode.

(f) I decided to run out-of-the-box for a week before diving into the settings; I am sure that delights await me there in the settings sun :groan:.

(g) It may well be that Vivaldi does what I detested in Firefox - nag me to update several times a day, blocking data from my sight. Only time will tell. I have joined a Vivaldi community forum and will search that database for “updates” in a week’s time.

(h) There appears to be a Selenium-Vivaldi driver, but this weekend I am busy washing my artichoke tubers (dial “delicate” on your washing machine). Maybe next week.

(i) I am starting to wish that I had not set the Vivaldi background screen to my desktop image, especially as my set of cycling six desktop background images is updated randomly every time I reboot. :evilgrin:

Cheers

Chris

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 14:25

(d) I think that Vivaldi is open-source nowadays. But open-source isn’t a major issue for me. It may well result in better code, whatever better means, but I have enough VBA on my plate without wandering into Python or C++.
<pedant>I think that bits of Vivaldi are open source, but not all of it.</pedant>
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jonwallace wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 00:09
<pedant>I think that bits of Vivaldi are open source, but not all of it.</pedant>
As usual, John, I agree with you entirely.

My knowledge of Vivaldi is so scant, but I have seen threads (elsewhere) that suggest that Vivaldi is a front-end or user-interface for a Chrome Engine (which makes sense to me; something with core code driving a basic process is an engine).
If that is so then some parts or layers of a browser can be Open and other parts Closed.

I used to release my applications that way, with the utility library a locked VBA template, but the code that my client had paid for, the application template, visible to the client.

[one coffee later] ... and then I went to the less-important emails and followed the link to Brian Livingson'es AskWoody article on Browser security: "The blog mercilessly flogs improvements for such pillars of virtue as Android, Firefox, Linux, and Chromium — the base code underlying numerous browsers including Brave, Google Chrome, Epic, Opera, Vivaldi, and, since January 2020, Microsoft Edge. There are enough good ideas in here to offend everyone."

My emphasis.
Cheers
Chris

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 10:43
My knowledge of Vivaldi is so scant, but I have seen threads (elsewhere) that suggest that Vivaldi is a front-end or user-interface for a Chrome Engine (which makes sense to me; something with core code driving a basic process is an engine).
I thought Vivaldi was a composer back in the day. :scratch: He rocked the "Four Seasons" or was it at the Four Seasons?
Regards,
John

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jstevens wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 16:02
I thought Vivaldi was a composer back in the day. :scratch: He rocked the "Four Seasons" or was it at the Four Seasons?
Hi jstevens.
I very much doubt that the group played at The Four Seasons. I walked past that hotel for over six years on my way to and from my ILL shelf at Yorkville Public Library and the only people I saw were trophies in slit-skirts lounging against stretch Limos, and men bigger than me but with only one ear-bud, so no stereo, which is a stupid way to listen to Vivaldi.
HYCHT
or if you prefer, HTH
Chris
Untitled_80.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Vivaldi Browser - acclimatising

Post by ChrisGreaves »

(six weeks later)
There are a few changes I must make to my keyboard habits. I log them here as I come across them.
Jan 14th 2022
(1) I right-click OpenNewTab and go to that opened page. I think In Firefox my cursor was IN the page text, and a down-arrow key or a PgDn would move the page text, but in Vivaldi I have to Tab two (or three?) times before I can DA or PgDn. A DA without the Tab opens a drop-down list in the URL (Ctrl+L) area.
(2) Speaking of which, I am used to using Ctrl+L, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C to capture the URL of an interesting page. Occasionaly the URL is changed back to something banal. More details next time it hapens
Chrias