Problems Opening Links from within Thunderbird

BobH
UraniumLounger

Problems Opening Links from within Thunderbird

Post by BobH »

Over the last 2-1/2 weeks I've experienced problems getting on line. The only way I was able to connect was with an ethernet cable from the cable modem to a laptop. Even then the speed was atrocious with many lags in response. I worked with my cable provider/ISP to resolve the problem, eventually changing out every piece of equipment and cable. I now have an all-in-one modem and wifi router provided by Time Warner that seems to be working very well . . . at last!

On getting back online, I went through the upgrade for Firefox to 39.0.3. Before, I was able to click on a URL posted in an email (from within Thunderbird, my client of choice) and be taken to the URL in a new tab in Firefox. Since installing the update, I must copy the link within TB, go to FF and paste the link in a tab and select go.

Can anyone suggest what might have caused this and how I might return to the ability to just click the link from within TB and have FF open it?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Problems Opening Links from within Thunderbird

Post by HansV »

What happens if you click a link in an email in Thunderbird?
- Nothing
- An error message (if so, what does it say?)
- Something else (if so, what?)
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Nothing happens, Hans!

I get no error message or indication. I used to be able to click on a link and would be taken to the browser opened with that link in a new tab. This no longer works.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

FIXED!

It occurred to me that uninstalling might be the route to take; so I uninstalled Thunderbird then downloaded a fresh copy from the Mozilla download page and installed that fresh copy. Thunderbird now performs as it did before, allowing me to click on a link in TB and be taken to that page displayed as a new tab in Firefox.

Thanks!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Great! Thanks for the update.
Best wishes,
Hans