How Can I Determine if JavaScript is Running in Firefox?

BobH
UraniumLounger

How Can I Determine if JavaScript is Running in Firefox?

Post by BobH »

I've been trying to find some information about using my new iPhone 6 on Apple's community web site. It allows me to type in questions and even displays some answers but I always reach a point where I get a message saying that there is some problem with my AppleID. When I try to follow the links to fix that problem, I get a message saying that JavaScript must be active in my browser to read those pages.

How can I tell is JavaScript is running in Firefox (36.0)? If I find that it is not, how do I add it? Is it an Add-on? When I go to Tools>Add-ons and search for JavaScript, I quite a few suggestions. From the titles on the add-ons, I cannot determine which to choose to fix my problem.

:help:

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: How Can I Determine if JavaScript is Running in Firefox?

Post by viking33 »

Bob,
JavaScript in Firefox should be enabled by default.

If you want to check then type about:config in Location (address) bar like you would type http://www.example.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then in filter box on top type in say javascript and you should find the javascript.enabled is set to default and true which means it is enabled.

(Just to make sure, Java and JavaScript are two different things and Java is not needed for Youtube.)
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

JavaScript is an integral part of every browser, there is no need to install an add-in for it. It can be disabled, however.
Enter about:config in the address bar of Firefox, then press Enter.
Firefox will display a warning, click that you'll be careful.
Scroll down to javascript.enabled.
If its value is set to false, double-click the entry to change it to true.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HA! For once, I beat you by a micro-second with that post, Hans!!!!
:fanfare: :clapping: :grin: :laugh:
BOB

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, guys!

I kept running into a problem on a Apple web page telling me that I must have javascript enabled. I DO have it enabled but I could not get past that screen. I finally called AppleCare and got my problem resolved.

Again, thanks for the quick responses.

PS: Viking Bob, we got a dusting of snow this morning. It wasn't even enough to cover the grass and melted away by lunchtime. Didn't even need one of them snow shovel whatchamaycallits. :evilgrin: :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

viking33 wrote:HA! For once, I beat you by a micro-second with that post, Hans!!!!
:fanfare: :clapping: :grin: :laugh:
Congratulations! :thumbup:
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BobH wrote:PS: Viking Bob, we got a dusting of snow this morning. It wasn't even enough to cover the grass and melted away by lunchtime. Didn't even need one of them snow shovel whatchamaycallits. :evilgrin: :flee:
... since it melted when you opened the door to get out.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Thanks, guys!

I kept running into a problem on a Apple web page telling me that I must have javascript enabled. I DO have it enabled but I could not get past that screen. I finally called AppleCare and got my problem resolved.

Again, thanks for the quick responses.

PS: Viking Bob, we got a dusting of snow this morning. It wasn't even enough to cover the grass and melted away by lunchtime. Didn't even need one of them snow shovel whatchamaycallits. :evilgrin: :flee:
Glad you got it resolved, Bob.
Care to post the fix in case someone else runs into that problem?

We got another dusting of about 4 inches last night. Possibly the same for tonight. This former ski bum is getting a little tired of the white stuff! But nothing like those poor Boston area folk got. Looking for a way to shovel some of it down your way. OK? :grin:
BOB

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

First I thought there could perhaps be some clues on the about:support page, i.e. Help > Troubleshooting Information (i.e. less intimidating to use than the config page).
It's a good question from another point of view as well; some year ago I wondered where the on-off switch for JavaScript had gone, it was removed from Preferences (if using add-ons such as NoScript it's of no interest, but still). Guess they are cleaning up the interface every now and then and move some things to the config page.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Alas, I found no fix.

Either there is a problem with the way the Apple web page and Firefox interact or there is a bug in the HTML or Firefox or both.

I spent an hour and 10 minutes on the phone with Apple support only to learn that there is no way to transfer just Notes from one phone to another.

Did I mention that I HATE, DESPISE and ABHOR apple software?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You don't have to use an iPhone!
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Alas, I found no fix.

Either there is a problem with the way the Apple web page and Firefox interact or there is a bug in the HTML or Firefox or both.

I spent an hour and 10 minutes on the phone with Apple support only to learn that there is no way to transfer just Notes from one phone to another.

Did I mention that I HATE, DESPISE and ABHOR apple software?
So why did you buy one? :scratch:
BOB

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

It was a gift from my Darling Daughter. Besides, the iPhone itself is a great device. It is the satanic software that apple purveys that I HATE, DESPISE and ABHOR!

Wasn't it apple who - a few decades ago - championed the features of icons and drag and drop data handling? So, why did they not adopt this with iTunes? I'll tell you why, because steve jobs planned to charge users every time they accessed iTunes. The courts issued many setbacks and now apple is too arrogant to recant the structure and go to a simple drag and drop process for each component the iOS software supports.

It isn't that they cannot; it is that they will not.

I predict a time when iPhone users begin a revolt against iTunes as the software client for managing iPhone content.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)