ODBC Incompatibility with Microsoft SQL Server

richlocus
2StarLounger

ODBC Incompatibility with Microsoft SQL Server

Post by richlocus »

Hello:

I have been linking (not importing) many tables from a Microsoft SQL Server environment to an Access application that I'm building, and all the linkages were flawless until I attempted to link to a large table with many indexes.

One of the tables on the SQL Server database apparently has too many indexes for Access. I could not find a way around this limitation because I get the following message as shown in the attachment:

"The operation failed. There are too many indexes on table dbo_invoice. Delete some of the indexes on the table and try the operation again."

Note: dbo_invoice is the name of the table that I am attempting to link to my Access application. It resides on a Microsoft SQL server somewhere out-of-state in a large commercial server farm. We don't have any direct access to that table and cannot change it, since it is used by many of the server's customers. Is there a way around this? Otherwise, we might have to pay the server company to create a special version that works with Access. Some of the posts that commented on this error all said to delete indexes, which I can't do since it is not owned by my client but is the property of a third party database provider.

Thanks,
Rich Locus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: ODBC Incompatibility with Microsoft SQL Server

Post by HansV »

Access supports a maximum of 32 indexes per table (including automatically generated internal indexes used to maintain relationships). This is a hard limit.
To work around this, you might try creating a pass-through query that retrieves data from the SQL Server table, and use the query instead of the table itself.
See Create a pass-through query
Best wishes,
Hans

richlocus
2StarLounger

Re: ODBC Incompatibility with Microsoft SQL Server

Post by richlocus »

Hans:
Thanks for the tip. I will explore it.
Regards,
Rich Locus