how to make database work on any systems?

siamandm
BronzeLounger

how to make database work on any systems?

Post by siamandm »

Hi all
if i create a database with MS Office 2016, how to make it work on any systems , as i have seen issues before like x64 or x86 not supporting each other ...

or if there is a way to make it work on any system without installing ms access.

regards

HansV
Administrator

Re: how to make database work on any systems?

Post by HansV »

If you create a database in 32-bit Access 2016, it should work on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows, in 32-bit and 64-bit Access 2016. Only if you use Windows API functions, you'll need to modify the code to work correctly for users with 64-bit Access 2016.

There is no guarantee that your database will work correctly in older versions of Access. In general, it's best to develop a database in the oldest version of Access that you need to support.

Users who don't have the full version of Access can download and install the runtime version of Access from Microsoft - it's totally free.
To make a database work with Access Runtime, you need to set a startup form and to provide your own navigation in the form of a Switchboard form or a custom ribbon. Also, you must make sure that you handle all VBA errors, for the database will crash if an error occurs in the runtime environment.
Best wishes,
Hans

siamandm
BronzeLounger

Post by siamandm »

thanks a lot for clarification. I have access 2016 32bit
if one of the users has access 2007, I can download and install 32-bit Microsoft access runtime, they should not have problems right?

regards

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You have to be careful with the code libraries that you select in Tools > References... in the Visual Basic Editor. It's best to test on the user's machine to make sure that it works OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

siamandm
BronzeLounger

Post by siamandm »

many thanks will do that