opening Word document using template

BobSullivan
3StarLounger

opening Word document using template

Post by BobSullivan »

In my database, I want to open a new word document using a specific template that has macros in it. The template contains a custom menu bar and many quick parts. If I open the document as a macro-enabled template, the ribbon is displayed, and the quick parts are there, and everything works. After the user works with the document and finished their edits, I'd like to automatically save the document as a word document.

So, while the document is created from access and being used in word, I need the macro enabled document in order to use the custom menu bar and commands. But when the document is saved, it needs to be saved as a plain .docx so that it can be retrieved later. Currently, if the document is not closed with a Save As command, the document will not open because the extension is .docx, but the file type is .dotm which causes an error stating "Word encountered an error processing the XML file filename.docx"

Currently, I am creating the document from Access and taking some information from the database and placing it in the word document. I'm trying to not have the user execute a Save As command when finished.
Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
Elverson, PA

HansV
Administrator

Re: opening Word document using template

Post by HansV »

You should open the document by using the Documents.Add method of the Word.Application object, not Documents.Open. Something like (simplified):

Code: Select all

Dim wrdApp As Object
    Dim wrdDoc As Object
    Set wrdApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
    Set wrdDoc = wrdApp.Documents.Add("path and filename.dotm")
Best wishes,
Hans

BobSullivan
3StarLounger

Re: opening Word document using template

Post by BobSullivan »

Thanks!
Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
Elverson, PA