Access and Sharepoint / Office 365

Steve_in_Kent
4StarLounger

Access and Sharepoint / Office 365

Post by Steve_in_Kent »

Does anyone know anything about creating a simple access application, and using it on a sharepoint or office 365 server.

My needs, are pretty simple. a table of items, with a couple of other linked tables, and the ability to search an item remotely, on a web interface. and change some of the pointers remotely.

we have access 2013 on our desktop PC's. and we also have access to sharepoint servers, and office 365..

can that sort of solution work ? or , is there a better online solution ?

our guys use ipads that they need to search and amend this data on.. but the company uses windows.. and i would need to use that for data / field manipulation.

so im' thinking, because its ipad, they need to use a browser and html ? to search/view/amend the data.

or would something like this, be better? https://aws.amazon.com/dynamodb/?sc_cha ... 27001828:s
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Owing at LEAST 34 beers to other helpful forum members. Especially HansV!

Steve_in_Kent
4StarLounger

Re: Access and Sharepoint / Office 365

Post by Steve_in_Kent »

Oh i should add, each of the ipads, does have access to shared directories, on our main server.

but ofc, being ipads, cannot run access.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This is outside my experience. I hope that someone else can help you with this. If you don't get a response here, you might ask in Microsoft's forums.
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

The concept with an Access front-end connecting to a SharePoint server is that the tables get pushed to the SharePoint server and become SharePoint lists. Then users can use SharePoint apps to update the data. My own experience is of the experimenting type, and in my opinion, it only works well in certain niche applications. Factors that have impact include the amount of use locally versus remotely, the criticality and volatility of the data, the number of users, and user experience level. A SQL Azure backend with .NET based web apps is an alternative that works pretty. And there apps such as the Amazon one you mentioned that can do the trick. Hope this helps your perspective.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

Steve_in_Kent
4StarLounger

Post by Steve_in_Kent »

Thanks for the help Wendell.. looks like access is a no-go.. based on microshaft closing it all down..

i will have a look at amazon.. see what that is :)

thanks again.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

.. looks like access is a no-go.. based on microshaft closing it all down..
I keep hearing that statement, but I can't find anywhere that actually says that. The fact that they just announced an enhancement to Access 2016 to support big integers means that someone is still working on it. And at this point they own the desktop database market, so why would they abandon it? What is your source?
Wendell

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft is definitely NOT abandoning Access as desktop database. They have committed to keep on developing and enhancing it.
Best wishes,
Hans

grovelli
4StarLounger

Post by grovelli »

I think Steve's "microshaft(!) closing it all down" refers to https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... bc-p/57261" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Access Web Apps are to be retired, indeed, and that is relevant for this thread. But Wendell and I wanted to dispel the often-heard myth that Access itself will be deprecated.
Best wishes,
Hans

CData
3StarLounger

Post by CData »

To the original posted need - don't overlook Remote Desktop; I thought, but am not certain, that it was available also in the iPad technology - - I could be totally wrong about this point.

But in general; for geographically separated situations the Remote Desktop method is always a candidate.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Good point, and Microsoft actually offers an RDP app for the iPad - see https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microso ... 092?mt%3D8
Wendell