Consolidate records - SQL2008R2

Jezza
5StarLounger

Consolidate records - SQL2008R2

Post by Jezza »

I have been tasked with backward engineering a financial report from a system that is being decommissioned, the presentation layer shows the monthly actuals for a cost code all in one row. In the image you can see that there were 5 monthly payments in 2013 (2013/1 = April, 2013/5 = August)

I would like to present this so that there is one row with just all the monthly values instead of 5 rows, is that possible?

BTW I created this extract by using the following code:

Code: Select all

COALESCE(MAX(CASE WHEN BAL.period = '1' THEN BAL.full_value END),0) ' Actual P1',
COALESCE(MAX(CASE WHEN BAL.period = '2' THEN BAL.full_value END),0) ' Actual P2',
COALESCE(MAX(CASE WHEN BAL.period = '3' THEN BAL.full_value END),0) ' Actual P3',
COALESCE(MAX(CASE WHEN BAL.period = '4' THEN BAL.full_value END),0) ' Actual P4',
COALESCE(MAX(CASE WHEN BAL.period = '5' THEN BAL.full_value END),0) ' Actual P5',
COALESCE(MAX(CASE WHEN BAL.period = '6' THEN BAL.full_value END),0) ' Actual P6'

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

HansV
Administrator

Re: Consolidate records - SQL2008R2

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

Jezza
5StarLounger

Re: Consolidate records - SQL2008R2

Post by Jezza »

Thanks Hans,

I had to d a complete rework on the data as there were a few joins in the original code and I returned to columnar data instead of aggregated. I found it easier to insert the resulting code into a temporary table and then the PIVOT worked like a dream.

As an aside, although this is on a SQL2008R2 server it was originally imported from a SQL2005 server and had to raise the compatibility from 70 to 90 to get PIVOT to work (Yes, some of the databases are as old as some of the exhibits we have at work :grin: )
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it