Change VBA code and Access 2003 bombs

Pat
5StarLounger

Change VBA code and Access 2003 bombs

Post by Pat »

I was making changes to ensure SQL Server worked by putting in parameters in the form of dbSeeChanges.

When changing code in any of four forms in an Access 2003 database, it crashes right out of Access when trying to save, yet when changing forms other than the 4 bad ones, it saves ok.
I have decompiled and compiled to no avail.

These forms seem to execute ok.

This database uses old ActiveX controls, can these be causing a problem?

Does this mean the 4 forms are corrupt?

Is there anything else i can do here?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Change VBA code and Access 2003 bombs

Post by HansV »

What happens if you do the following:
- Copy the code in one of the problem forms to a text file (i.e. outside of Access)
- Set the Has Module property of the form to No and confirm.
- Save and close the form.
- If Access still crashes, the form is probably corrupt beyond repair.
- If not, open the form in design view, and copy the code back in.
- Save and close the form.
- You may have to "reconnect" event procedures by clicking in the event in the Event tab of the Properties window and selecting [Event Procedure] from the dropdown list.

If you have older backup copies of the database, you might check the forms there.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

Tried that down to saving after deleting all the code but it still fails.
If i go into the code behind and just hit save it's ok, its when i change even just one character it fails.
Thanks anyway.
Looks like they dont have a backup of this database.
Fun and games now.
Hev you heard if there is there anyone out there that can restore corrupt databases, after all its onlt 4 forms, everything else seems fine.

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

What I have found is that if I leave all the links to the SQL Server tables there it crashes.
If I delete all linked SQL Server tables, make the form changes, I can then save the form.
Then when I relink the SQL Server tables and try and run the form it crashes out of Access.
I'm stumped.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There are tools and services that claim to be able to repair corrupt Access databases (you'll find them easily using Google), but I have no experience with any of them, so I have no idea how effective they are.
Best wishes,
Hans

Mark L
3StarLounger

Post by Mark L »

Pat wrote: Hev you heard if there is there anyone out there that can restore corrupt databases, after all its onlt 4 forms, everything else seems fine.
There are some services out there. You might try http://www.vb123.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, although I haven't tried it myself. One thing to look for, however, is whether or not they will be able to fix corrupt forms/modules. Many of the services merely recover data, so don't expect much luck in recovering anything from your front-end db.
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL
see my website http://www.liquorman.net for Access Tips and Tricks, and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

I am doing this on behalf of a client, so i doubt very much if they would allow me to post it to vb123 to fix. Thank you anyway, i am trying soemone else at this stage.

Mark L
3StarLounger

Post by Mark L »

Pat wrote:I am doing this on behalf of a client, so i doubt very much if they would allow me to post it to vb123 to fix. Thank you anyway, i am trying soemone else at this stage.
I don't understand. You will have to send it someplace, why not to vb123? You are not "posting" it like a message for anyone to see; they have a procedure for you to send them the database.
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL
see my website http://www.liquorman.net for Access Tips and Tricks, and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

Fair comment, it's up to the client, they may want me to rebuild the 4 bad forms.

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

I don't know if this will help, but I had a similar issue a couple of years ago. I had a database originally created in Access 2000. Yet anytime I edited any form or any report using Access 2003 it crashed when I tried to save it.

I could edit and save in Access 2000, but not 2003. I went through and systematically added objects to a new database until I could no longer save updates. I had one report that contained two comboboxes, instead of text boxes. I changed the comboboxes to text boxes, and the problem went away. I even took the original database that consistently crashed, edited the report and saved it successfully.

I don't have an answer as to why that one report prevented me from saving ANY object in the database in 2003, but that did resolve the issue.

Ken

Pat
5StarLounger

Post by Pat »

Thanks Ken, I solved it by redeveloping the forms from scratch, there were 4 forms involved.