Some sort of strange corruption?

Cecilia
StarLounger

Some sort of strange corruption?

Post by Cecilia »

Hi all,

I'll admit, I haven't searched this one yet. The problem is that I've spent 2 months working on a db. Get in today, and half the reports are somehow "corrupted." I can't open certain reports (at random), nor can I view them in design view. I select Design View and nothing happens. Can't make an mde out of the mdb, either.

Tried compact/repair, same problem. Tried importing everything into a new database. Same problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe I have a virus that the system hasn't uncovered yet?

Cecilia :(

More info on the db. The actual data sources are mostly db2 or sql server, but the sources for the reports are all queries (there are a few that are pretty complicated, but even those not so complicated are failing to open). The entire db, when compiled, is around 1mb

Cecilia
StarLounger

Re: Some sort of strange corruption?

Post by Cecilia »

This is what happens when I don't *search* before freaking out.

Changing the default printer appears to have made the bad behavior go away.

The db's bad behavior, not mine. I'll be available for stoning, later. :-/

Thanks for listening :D

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Can you open the queries that act as record source for the reports that are failing?

Glad you were able to solve the problem!
Best wishes,
Hans

Cecilia
StarLounger

Post by Cecilia »

HansV wrote:Can you open the queries that act as record source for the reports that are failing?

Glad you were able to solve the problem!
Thank you for being so nice about it, Hans ;)

I'm going to leave my post here unless you want to delete it. It shows the importance of a. remembering that search is our best friend, and b. remembering how absolutely PICKY Access is about printers, whether the problem is forms, reports, or even compiling.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think leaving it is a good idea. It may well help someone else in the future.

You're correct that Access is picky about printers!
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Cecilia wrote: ...
I'm going to leave my post here unless you want to delete it. It shows the importance of a. remembering that search is our best friend, and b. remembering how absolutely PICKY Access is about printers, whether the problem is forms, reports, or even compiling.
More than once I've wanted to stone the PC, the printer, and Access for going off the deep end when a printer misbehaved or went away or .... My sympathies.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

Mark L
3StarLounger

Post by Mark L »

Cecilia wrote:This is what happens when I don't *search* before freaking out.

Changing the default printer appears to have made the bad behavior go away.

The db's bad behavior, not mine. I'll be available for stoning, later. :-/

Thanks for listening :D
I'm a little surprised you didn't an Access message when you try to open a report (even in design mode), something like "this report was originally formatted for the blahblah printer, which is no longer available. Do you want to use the default printer?".
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL
see my website http://www.liquorman.net for Access Tips and Tricks, and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Cecilia
StarLounger

Post by Cecilia »

Mark L wrote: I'm a little surprised you didn't an Access message when you try to open a report (even in design mode), something like "this report was originally formatted for the blahblah printer, which is no longer available. Do you want to use the default printer?".
I thought I posted a response to this, but it seems to have gotten lost in the airwaves....

Nope, nothing like that. First, no print preview or design view in certain reports--no error message, just nothing happened. Then I couldn't compile or make an .mde. Started trying to delete unnecessary stuff from the db (after importing into a clean db) thinking it might help with the compile issue, but no luck on either, the only message I got was when I tried to make an mde, it said I couldn't, but didn't really give a reason why ("Access is unable to...").

Errors without meaningful error messages (or no error message at all) are really somethin' else.