Center text in a table column

teachesms
2StarLounger

Center text in a table column

Post by teachesms »

Is there a format or mask or something that will center data in a table column in 2003. I don't even have it on my system anymore, and know that 2007 does it in the properties of the field in table design view, but can't remember about 2003. Thanks,
If you can't convince them, confuse them - Harry S. Truman

Nannette

HansV
Administrator

Re: Center text in a table column

Post by HansV »

Hover the mouse pointer over the top of the column.
The mouse pointer will change to a downward-pointing arrow.
Click to select the entire column.
Click the Center Text button on the Formatting toolbar, or press Ctrl+E.

Reply crossed out because it was nonsense - it was for Word, not for Access
Best wishes,
Hans

teachesms
2StarLounger

Post by teachesms »

Seriously?
I just assumed that, but as I don't have 2003 anymore, and was asked via email how to do it, I was also assuming they knew enough to do that much...and began to think, well maybe I was dreaming and center was not there all along...
Thanks Hans...gees I feel dumb, but I just couldn't remember the 2003 interface! OMG...that is scary!

Nannette

Mark L
3StarLounger

Post by Mark L »

teachesms wrote:Seriously?
... I was also assuming they knew enough to do that much...
After you've been doing customer support for awhile, you'll learn not make that mistake again! :laugh:
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL
see my website http://www.liquorman.net for Access Tips and Tricks, and for my Liquorman Utilities.

teachesms
2StarLounger

Re: Center text in a table column - Still Not Resolved

Post by teachesms »

I think I've found a workable solution.

I think he could just create a form from the table, center everything, then view the form in Datasheet view. I will see if this suits him.

Thanks

Original message:

OK...

I had him do all the things we suggested. No go.

I finally got my hands on a machine with Office 2003 still on it, and set up a quick database to see what he was talking about...

Even though I added the CENTER button to the formatting toolbar from the Customize box, it DOES NOT activate even after I highlight the column I want to center, nor does CTRL E center what is in the column...

I know he is frustrated at this, and now I am. In Access 2007, centering is easily done in the property section for each individual field in a table, but in Access 2003 this field does not exist in the property section of the table.

On a side note, I tried to center text in an Access 2007 query today and it did not work there either...Sending the data to a report solves that, but still no alignment in the query itself.

Anyway...does anyone have any suggestions, or is centering text in a table column something that CANNOT be done in any way shape or fashion?

Thanks a bunch
Last edited by teachesms on 16 Mar 2010, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

Nannette

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have to apologize. My first reply was for Word, not for Access, so it made no sense. Sorry for the confusion I caused!

But there is no good reason for wanting to align fields in a table or query. End users should *NEVER* work directly with a table or query, only with forms and reports, and for developers the alignment of fields in tables and queries is not relevant.
Best wishes,
Hans

teachesms
2StarLounger

Post by teachesms »

Aware of that Hans, but I can't control what the student may want, warn them or not, I can't control the needs of that individual...so I have posted my work around above.
In class I warn them over and over about allowing access to a table...but like I said, I can't always convince them when they get back to work...thanks for the feedback.

Nannette

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In the end, what students (or other people) do is their own responsibility, but that doesn't mean that you have to help them to do things the wrong way...
Best wishes,
Hans

teachesms
2StarLounger

Post by teachesms »

My Hero! You are trying to make me feel bad. You have never did that before...ouch!

Are you and I to assume he hasn't provided a password to this table, and possibly the table opens in read-only mode? I teach my students when and how to view a datasheet...(as the administrator only) else read-only if it's a must. Most of my students are administrators of their own databases. They create and design them for others. I provide answers...I do not encourage datasheet viewing by non-administrators. My students are well aware of that. This prior student who is emailing me is an administrator, and if he wants something centered in his database then so be it. I do not encourage wrong-doing. Any one of my students will tell you how many times I repeat not to allow USERS into a datasheet. But again...almost all my students are database administrators and if they want something centered, by golly "go for it".

Nannette

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I didn't intend to put you down, but I simply can't understand why anyone would want a column in a table to be centered. As designer/administrator I sometimes open a table in one of my databases directly, of course, but if I do it's not to admire the pretty layout - just to perform a quick edit.

I apologize if I made you feel bad.
Best wishes,
Hans