Trouble connecting ADP

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Trouble connecting ADP

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. (Access 2007)
I've started an ADP but am having trouble connecting to my server on my desktop pc.

I have SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS). In the configuration I can start it as Local System
or Local Service. Which do I need? Do I then need to supply a username and pasword?

SQLEXPRESS also shows an Agent and Browser. Do I need these?

Currently I can start a service but it doesn't appear in the list of server names in the Access
Data Link Properties.

Thanks for any guidance, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Trouble connecting ADP

Post by HansV »

Sorry, no experience with ADPs or SQL Server Express here...
Best wishes,
Hans

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

Have you actually set up a database or merely started the service?
Charlotte

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. I've got a new/blank .adp and am trying, via Data Link Properties, to connect to my running version of SQL Server.
Using Sql Server Configuration I am running both SQL Server and Browser as Local Service. My server appears in the server list as ANDREW-PC\SQLEXPRESS and I'm
trying to connect using NT Integrated Security. When I test the connection I receive 'Specified SQL server not found'.
Do I need to use a username and password; if so what are they - sa/admin? Do I need a database to test the connection?
Thanks for any advice, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

Wish I could help, but I haven't yet reinstalled SQL Express since upgrading from Vista to Win 7, so I'm not equipped to answer.
Charlotte

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi. Perhaps someone could assist me with the following.
I'm planning to un-install all SQL Server apps and then re-install SQL Server Express 2008 (with apps). This should give me access to the (new) Management Centre and allow me to configure everything from scratch.
In my list of Add/Remove apps I have several version: SQL Server 2008, 2005 Compact Edition, Compact 3.5 and VSS Writer.
Should I un-install these in a particular order? Will removal affect any applications on my computer (particularly MS Office)?
Ta, Andy.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

None of those should impact MS Office, as long as you haven't created an Access application that is using either 2008 or 2005. And I would uninstall pretty much in the order you listed the apps, though other than 2008 first and then 2005, the rest shouldn't be order sensitive. Also, note that SQL Server 2008 Express (and 2005 Express) use an instance name in addition to the server name. So when you are connecting, whether with ODBC or with ADO, you need to specify both the server name and the instance name. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... L.90).aspx for some background - the default instance name is sqlexpress.

As noted in that other forum, the ADP format is not scheduled for any enhancements in 2010, and none were made in 2007. I use SQL Server in virtually all of the development work I do as the back-end, but use an ODBC connection to linked tables rather than the ADP approach. Development work is quicker in general, and the capabilities using ODBC are generally greater than using ADPs. The only time I can see an ADP being preferrable is if you have major performance concerns, and at this point I haven't found a situation that would warrant using an ADP.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you. I'll propably uninstall and re-install on Saturday (or I might see if I can just install the Management Centre).
I think I've tried with both the server and instance name but I'll try again.
I turned to an ADP as I wanted to try out some SQL statements - to learn about creating tables, stored procedures etc. However, I'm also studying php and MySql and this is
proving much easier to get working.
Can Access attach to a MySql server? Thanks again, Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

agibsonsw wrote:Can Access attach to a MySql server?
Yes, using the ODBC driver for MySQL (MySQL :: Download Connector/ODBC)
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks very much. I've almost got this working. I'm using the following ADO connectionstring to try and open a connection:
"Provider=MSDASQL; DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 3.51Driver}; SERVER= localhost; DATABASE=example; UID= Your_Username; PASSWORD=Your_Password; OPTION=3"
But it says DSN not found or no default driver found.
(There's no table in my database, I want to create one using VBA/SQL.)
Do I need a full path to my database (example)? Does it have a file extension? Thanks (anyone..) Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

It's okay, I've got it working!
DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver}; was required (with no provider). Perhaps the example I found was for an earlier version. Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The link I posted was indeed for the 5.1 version, not for the 3.51 version. Glad you were able to work it out.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I found the string from a site http://www.sqlstrings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Tucked way at the bottom of their home page was the year, 2004.
I wish sites would make the date more prominent. Thanks, Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
I've un-installed all SQL apps and re-installed SQL Server 2008 Express with the Management Studio. When I started this I gave 'sa' a password.
I've connected the database engine which has server name ANDREW-PC\SQLEXPRESS.
Now I've gone back to my ADP and tried to connect to this server, both using Windows Authentication and by supply username sa and the password.
But I get the same error as before - Specified SQL Server not found.

Does anyone have an idea why it can't find it? Thanks for any suggestions, Andy.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Have you tried creating a new ADP using Access 2007? Also, have you tried creating an ODBC connection as either a System or File DSN? If you are running on the same PC, then you should have the SQL Server Native Driver installed, but if you are on a different PC from where SQL Server in installed, then you need to install the SQL Server Native Driver. Use the one from SQL Server 2008 - it works more reliably with either 2005 or 2008.
Wendell

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
I created a new ADP to no avail. I've managed to successfully create a system DSN to connect, but the ADP data-link properties dialog doesn't have an option to use a DSN.
It requires a server name.
How can I use the DSN within ADP? Thanks for any help - this is frustrating.. Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ADPs use a direct ADO connection, not a DSN.
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Hans is correct - and if you can create a DSN that works using ODBC, then you should be able to connect to and existing SQL Server database or create a new SQL Server database. Take a look at this Microsoft tutorial - if you follow the steps carefully, you should be up and running. But try creating a new SQL Server database first - an ADP uses OLE-DB to connecto to SQL Server and for some reason it seems to work more reliably if you first create a new SQL Server database, and then try connecting to an existing SQL Server database.
Wendell

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Andy.