Unique values formula

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Unique values formula

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. Excel 2003.
I've managed to define the following array formula as a Named Range called Uniques:
=IF(ISNA(INDEX($A$2:$A$12,MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK($A$2:$A$12),"",COUNTIF(E$1:E1,$A$2:$A$12)),0))),"",INDEX($A$2:$A$12,MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK($A$2:$A$12),"",COUNTIF(E$1:E1,$A$2:$A$12)),0)))
If I enter =Uniques in E2 and drag it down it produces a list of unique values from column A (ignoring blank cells) and not showing #NA.
But if I try to use =Uniques as the input range for a (Forms) combo box it fails.
Does anyone know if this is possible? (I didn't believe I could even use an array formula as a named range?)
Secondly, is it possible to shorten the formula?
Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Unique values formula

Post by HansV »

The formula =Uniques is location-dependent: it looks at the cells above it. By itself it returns only a single value, not a range.

I'd use VBA, see for example Spreadsheet Page Excel Tips: Identifying Unique Values In An Array Or Range.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you.
Actually, as I'm placing the formula down a column anyway I can use this column as the input range for the combo box.
Regards, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi again.
I would like some help understanding the above formula - It's not mine! Specifically, why does
{=COUNTIF($B1:B5,$A$2:$A$12)}
yield 1s and 0s when I highlight it and press F9? I believe it to be looking for the values in column A that are in column B, but if the value occurs more than once it
still returns 1 rather than 2 or 3 etc. That is, why is it not counting?
Thanks, Andy.

sdckapr
3StarLounger

Post by sdckapr »

How do you have it setup exactly?

When I press <F9>, I get an array of 11 items: that looks something like:
{={3;1;1;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0}}

the first is the number in B1:B5 matching the value in A2, then the number in B1:B5 matching the value in A3, etc

Steve

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Normally, the second argument of COUNTIF is a single condition; if this condition is a value, COUNTIF returns the number of times this value occurs in the range (the first argument).
Here, the second argument is an array (range) of 11 values, hence COUNTIF($B1:B5,$A$2:$A$12) returns an array of 11 counts: { how many times does A2 occur in B1:B5, how many times does A3 occur in B1:B5, ..., how many times does A12 occur in B1:B5 }.
Assuming that the values in B1:B5 are unique, each count will be 0 (if the value of An doesn't occur in B1:B5) or 1 (if the value of An does occur in B1:B5). So you'll get something like {0,1,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0}
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Ah! The penny's dropped.
Because we're looking for the appearance of column A values in column B (which will only contain unique values) the count will always be 1 or 0.
Excellent. Ta, Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

sdckapr wrote:How do you have it setup exactly?

When I press <F9>, I get an array of 11 items: that looks something like:
{={3;1;1;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0}}

the first is the number in B1:B5 matching the value in A2, then the number in B1:B5 matching the value in A3, etc

Steve
I've inserted a couple of rows, but data is in A5:A15. I place a title in E4 and the following is entered as an array formula in E5 and then dragged down:
=IF(ISNA(INDEX($A$5:$A$15,MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK($A$5:$A$15),"",COUNTIF(E$4:E4,$A$5:$A$15)),0))),"",INDEX($A$5:$A$15,
MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK($A$5:$A$15),"",COUNTIF(E$4:E4,$A$5:$A$15)),0)))
The COUNTIF yields only 1s or 0s because it is looking for the values A5:A15 in the (unique) values E5:E5, E5:E6 etc as explained by Hans.
Andy.