Word's Format When Saving

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Word's Format When Saving

Post by hlewton »

On my wife's computer, when she types a word document, she always gets what can be seen in the attachment. She is using the same Microsoft 365 that I am and I know the box can be checked to "Do Not Ask Me Again." But I am wondering why she gets this with every Word document she creates. Is there a reason that can be fixed by doing something other that checking that box?
blabla.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Word's Format When Saving

Post by JoeP »

Check the default file format for saving a document at File | Options | Save. Then "Save files in this format". If it is set to one of the older Word format such as doc change it to docx.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 15:08
Check the default file format for saving a document at File | Options | Save. Then "Save files in this format". If it is set to one of the older Word format such as doc change it to docx.
Thank you Joe. Here is what I found. As you can see in the attachment, I believe it was already what you said it should be. Guess I will have to check that box to not ask again.

Save.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try the following on her PC:
- Make sure that Word is closed.
- Start File Explorer.
- Enter the following in the address box, or copy/paste it from here, then press Enter:

%appdata%\microsoft\templates

- There should be a file named Normal.dotm or Normal.dot in that folder.
- Right-click the file and select Open from the context menu.
- Select File > Info.
- Do you see a section Compatibility Mode with a button Convert?

S2531.png

- If so, click the Convert button. You'll see the dialog that you reported in your first post.
- Click OK.
- Close and restart Word.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans, that did it.
Regards,
hlewton