F7 anomaly

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

F7 anomaly

Post by Dave Davison »

I know that to access "Spelling and Grammar" I have to click on Review then ABC but hitting the F7 key should do the same thing however, when doing so I get a prompt simply telling me what % the volume is currently set at. Any suggestions as to why this is so; running W11 :thankyou: :scratch: :scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: F7 anomaly

Post by HansV »

Does your keyboard have a Fn key on the lower left side? If so, try pressing Fn+F7.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Sure does Hans and it solved the issue, is this common to W11 as I have never encountered it before or does it have nothing to do with W11? :thankyou: Dave

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's a common feature of many keyboards.
You can "lock" the Fn key so that you only need to press F7 instead of Fn+F7. On most keyboards, you can press Fn+Esc to do that.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Just tried that combination Hans & it does not work with my keyboard but not bothered as the fn+F7 does the trick. Many thanks Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The key to use in combination with Fn usually has a small picture of a lock on it, or the text Fn Lock in tiny letters.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Had a good look can't see any key with the said inf but-as I said- quite happy to have learned the function of the key combination you provided. :thankyou: Dave

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

This is not a Windows setting but a BIOS setting from the computer manufacturer. They change the function of the function keys to match the little pictures they put on the keys instead of following the settings in programs.
There is usually a way to have it so the Fn key gives you those custom functions instead of having to use the Fn key with the keys set in programs. Contact the manufacturer.
https://www.addbalance.com/word/functionkeys.htm