Appendix with page numbers that automatically update

jmt356
SilverLounger

Appendix with page numbers that automatically update

Post by jmt356 »

I have a file with several photos in it. I would like to create an appendix that states the title and page number of each of the photos. I would also like for the page number to continuously update as I add further content to the file.

How can this be achieved?

Is what I need an index? If so, can photographs rather than text be the objects of an index?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Appendix with page numbers that automatically update

Post by HansV »

If you add captions to the photos, using References > Insert Caption, you can create a so-called Table of Figures, also from the References tab of the ribbon.
S0640.png
It acts like a Table of Contents (it is, in fact, a special form of a Table of Contents), so it isn't updated continuously. You can select the Table of Figures and press F9, or right-click it and select Update Field. You'll get the same choices as for a TOC:
S0641.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Would it be possible to enter a full description as a caption, but have the text that appears in the Table of Figures more abbreviated (e.g., "Photo of the ancient city walls" appears in the Table of Figures, but the caption states, "These ancient city walls were destroyed in the early stages of the Roman conquest."
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think so, but perhaps someone else will have a suggestion for you.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

How about Insert Caption under the image with the desired abbreviated text, and covering the inserted caption with an inserted Text Box containing your desired wording, In Front Of Text?
Sundog