Table management - Word 2007

dasadler
5StarLounger

Table management - Word 2007

Post by dasadler »

I just realized today that a Word table is somehow linked to a specific point or object in Word. I have two tables separated by some paragraph marks. I wanted to insert some returns so both tables would move further down the page however only the second table moves... not the first one. I have looked all over the document trying to find what the linkage is (an anchor???) but cannot find it.

How can I determine what controls table placement?
Don

HansV
Administrator

Re: Table management - Word 2007

Post by HansV »

A table can be floating or inline.
If the table is floating, you can drag it anywhere on the page. If it is inline, it will behave like part of the text, and move with it.
Right-click anywhere in a table and select Table Properties from the context menu.
In the first tab (Table), in the Text Wrapping section, you can choose between None (=inline) and Around (=floating).
S0536.png
Is the setting the same for both tables?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

I never knew that... I have seen that property box thousands of time and never noticed that.

Yes, both tables are set to Around however, I think there is more at play since the first table was acting odd before I added the second table. Anyway, I am happy now. Let's close this question and I will try to solve the other minor issue.

Thank you so much.
Don

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

In addition to Hans's advice, one can also lock the table from moving with text if it is floating. Even though both your tables were floating, the first table in your example was probably set to be locked and therefore did not move with the rest of your document body. If you go back into properties of the table, you can click the Positioning button (only available when Around (floating) is active. In the new dialog, check the option Move with text. this will cause your table to move with the rest of the document body (like your second table).
SC077.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Thanks Rudi.

It is little things like this that make me wonder if I will ever have any need to upgrade to the latest version of Office since I clearly will never fully exploit all the features in this version. That goes for nearly all applications on my PC. Pedaling as fast as I can just barely keeps me on the trailing edge and even that is starting to slip away.
Don